Sunday, April 24, 2022

Change is Difficult


Sometimes this priest’s wonders if he has lost his mind. I make a decision recently to change my TV vendor to save money. Boy, did that turn out to be a fiasco. It literally took 15 phone calls to customer service to complete the transition. What did I learn?

 

 

The first customer service agent reviewed my list of 15 channels and put together a package that he assured me would be a savings. The next day, the installer arrives and says I need to buy a Roku and I can install the service myself in three minutes. What’s a Roku? He texts a picture to my phone.  On my way to the store, I could feel my stress rising and saying to myself, forgot the idea of changing vendors, this is getting too complicated. I contacted a friend who offered to meet me back home to help install this Roku. I bought this little stick called a Roku and my guardian angel inserted into the back of the TV, rewired a few connections and it was working.

 

Only problem the channels we ordered were not on the list.

 

On my 9th call, our customer service informs me that I need to buy the “sports package” to upload the NHL network that would an additional charge. On my 12th call, customer service informs me I need to buy the “Tier One package” to add National Geographic Wild and that requires another  additional fee.

 

My stress level is off the roof, didn’t sleep that night, and grumbling to myself that I should have never made the switch. Then another guardian angel blessed with technical skills arrives, gets on his hands and knees, crawls inside the media cabinet and rewires the Roku so that we can use the DVD player, connects the system to the media speakers to improve the sound, and downloads the free movie apps. Then he patiently shows me how to use the universal and Roku remotes. I am literally crying inside for joy becomes this guardian angel took the time to take this complicated mess and make the system “user friendly.”

 

At the same time, I am on my 15th call with customer service who listens to my woes about not being able to bundle a package with the channels I watch at an affordable price. This angel of mercy puts together a package at a significant savings and simple says “that’s why I am here to help.”

 

What has this retired priest learned? Yes, change is difficult and scary sometimes. Alone we are at the mercy of our emotions of fear, anxiety and stress. But when we open ourselves to the hand of God, He truly listens to our fears and brings us help from friends and people we would never expect.

 

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who are struggling with change and feeling exhausted from all the stress these past two and a half years. In the stillness of our hearts, help them know they are never alone and that you are sending them angels to bring them comfort and peace. Special thanks to my guardian angels, Ben, Don, Dave, Tim and that 15th customer service rep.