Sunday, April 03, 2022

Unworthy



On my recent deployment to Divine Mercy Catholic Parish in Las Vegas, I was sadden to learn that many of the Hispanic people do not receive Holy Communion because they feel unworthy. It seemed very ironic since I noticed many families came with their children and were most devout in offering prayers. Why they carried this negative attitude about themselves was a mystery so I decided to challenge this tradition.

 

At the beginning of the liturgy, the penitential rite invites people to examine their conscience and ask the Lord for forgiveness. The Sunday Gospel described a woman standing in humiliation and the ancient law of Moses says she must be stoned to death for her crime. Stoned to death!

 

It’s a clever trap for the Teacher. Somehow I am thinking that our Hispanic people must be feeling like this woman. They feel disgraced and ashamed. The response of Jesus is profound for He leans down and scratches absently in the dirt. People hold their breath, and the accusers worry. Why is he silent and what will he say? Jesus says: “My Abba has loved each of you through all ages, no matter whether you were sinners or not.”

 

Abba means, “be my people. Love one another. I love you, and I forgive your sins.” But hatred is the motto of those accusers and perhaps the inner voice these Hispanic people carry deep within their hearts. That toxic voice wants them to stay away from communion for they feel unworthy. They stand in humiliation and their hearts say in terror, “our accusers are right, we are unworthy.’

 

But notice Jesus lifts his head and utters a sentence that sums up this Gospel and all of Lent. “Let the one among you who is without sin throw the first stone.”

 

The crowd creeps away quietly, submerged in their own consciences.

Now we stand alone before this quiet Teacher, and your terror has subsided. There is something about him that makes you feel worthy.

 

In the penitential rite, I reminded all our humble Hispanic people that I offer the prayer of absolution. In the Gospel Jesus asks, “Well, where are they, Has no one condemned you?” She says, “No one, sir.” Jesus also asks, “Do you condemn yourself?” You, the woman, spend a long time on this answer because it is so very hard. Finally you whisper, “I do not want to condemn myself, Teacher.”

 

“Neither do I condemn you,” answers Jesus. “Go and sin no more.”

 

Aa our humble congregation bowed their heads to receive absolution, I reminded them that Holy Communion is Jesus’ way of giving them a big hug and the grace to be the best Christians they can be for the coming week. If we could each accept our own sinfulness as well as the forgiveness that surrounds it, we would have peace.

 

It took me 20 minutes to distribute communion to 350 parishioners kneeling at the rail. People had never had seem such a crowd line the aisles to receive Holy Communion.

 

I can honestly say the spirit of the Lord made this happen for finally this unworthy crowd could stammer at last, “I believe, Lord. Help our unbelief.”

 

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who feel unworthy that during this Lent we do not condemn themselves. Help us to believe, and drink the compassion of God, who has been there all along, tracing in our souls, “neither do I condemn you.”