Friday, April 15, 2022

Easter Story

 


 

I am concelebrating the Holy Thursday service at the cathedral with our bishop who says: “hold the holy oils while I bless them and if I need anything else just be ready.” My response: “not a problem, just give me a nod.”

 

Part of the Holy Thursday rites include the bishop washing the feet of his parishioners. I noticed he had lots of volunteers, as the rites asks the celebrant to imitate Jesus who washed the feet of his disciples. The master and teacher takes on the role of servant. I was thinking during this rite what is means to be humble.

 

True story, two hours earlier, I was talking with our volunteer fire chief telling him I had been counseling his son. I learned his son had quit the fire department in disgust after serving for 14 years over a decision made at their last department meeting.

 

This young assistant chief had been searching for three months for a gator and trailer to be used to rescue people in remote locations.

 

One quote was $12,000 for the trailer, but that was too much. Rather, our young firefighter found an aluminum bed for only $5,000 that he felt fit the need to haul the gator. However, another opinion questioned that figure with an older trailer for $3,000 but they never shared that it needed all new tires and an upgraded electrical system that would add thousands to the costs. Our young firefighter felt hurt and disrespected and so he quit.

 

His dad is the chief and he shared “the kid” can be stubborn but his son was right and had the best solution. Sadly, our shun firefighter had not called his dad since the meeting. The chief texted his son asking him to join him to evaluate safety equipment but he had not received a reply. Stubborn kid or just being human when people failed to appreciate all our hard work.

 

I forwarded the following text to this young man. “I know you are taking a time-out because you were hurt and felt no support from your crewmembers. However, your dad needs you tonight and values your opinion about this safety equipment. Sometimes I am called to serve knowing that people don’t really care or whose opinions are not very respectful, but I go when needed. Your dad needs your help, just go.”

 

Jesus was sent by His Father to teach us how to love God and neighbor. Sadly, those same neighbors crucified his Son. From the cross, the human Jesus felt hurt, pain, abandoned. Rather, instead of calling for his angels to save Him from the cross, he spoke words of forgiveness.

 

To be servant means we have to have the confidence to tell that young fireman that I appreciate all his sacrifices and hard work, but my text hoped to encourage him to return and continue to serve his community despite a “few cheapskates and arrogant neighbors.”

 

That’s the Easter message: Taking what was dead and giving it new life.

 

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who feel hurt, disrespected or bruised by the times people failed to support them. Let us turn our thoughts and hearts to Jesus in thanksgiving for giving us a new life, new hope and the promise of the resurrection. Blessed Easter. fr. matt