Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A Mother's Nature

A young mother shared that she recently moved to Rochester because her husband accepted a position at Strong Hospital in research. However, she wanted to focus her energy back to her vision to serve as an Episcopalian priest. She had taken a "time-out" to nurture an adopted son and allow her mate to complete his medical training.

Now she felt that it was time for her spiritual seed to bloom and flourish in her vocation. For Lent, she shared that after years of "sleep deprivation" caring for her baby, she would need time to get extra rest each day to build up her energy as she prepared to re-enter the ministry.

I would like to offer this walking reflection as a Lenten practice for all of you who suffer from a little "sleep deprivation. It is entitled "Nature’s Energy" and was written by Kate Clifford.

Silence, yes silence is needed, rest. Breathing in the energies that are needed. Wondering why the body demands quiet. Sitting, breathing, resting, energizing, Noticing the beauty of the gray sky outside.

Walking, breathing in the cold freezing air. Enjoying the white crystal fog’s designs. Stopping, seeing the details of the frost. Feeling the beauty that now surrounds me. Drinking it in, loving it, becoming part of it.

I see a wall of ice fog in the evening glow. Grayness envelops me from all sides.

If I were to die tonight, seeing this sight, I would say I am the luckiest person alive. Frozen beauty touches me inside and out.

I breath, energized from what I have seen. Rainbow colors crystallized before me. Sounds of life quieted by this winter blanket. Tired, yes, I have been tired in this rat race, but nature calls me and energizes my spirit.

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine friends who are "worn out" and exhausted by the demands of their jobs, family and life. Bring them your Light to revive their spirits so that their energy will grow strong again to blossom with your love and care. As you meditate, enjoy your walk gazing upon the morning light reflecting off the creek formed by the sunrise in Ellison Park.

--Fr. Matt