Sunday, January 29, 2006

Easy Off

I was cleaning my "old fashion" 1960 Hotpoint oven with "Easy Off Grill and Oven Cleaner." I think this label is an illusion because believe me there’s nothing "EASY" cleaning a dirty old clunker oven. The directions say crank up the heat to 475, wait a half hour and then spray. For best results, let stand 24 hours and there you have it-- a shiny, clean oven. Don’t believe the directions! I got out an old dish rag and started scrubbing. Sure some grease came OFF easily but then there were those darn stubborn, burnt on grease spots. That old dish rag took a beating, then I thought how God is like that old dish rag. I come to God when things are "greasy" in my life and I think there’s an easy solution to the problem so just grab the can of "EASY OFF." However, it’s not enough to get the job done. God, like that old dish rag, takes a beating in my messes. I rinse out the black grease and the oven is getting cleaner but that poor old rag is also getting ragged and stained. Yet, as I scrub the walls of the oven–my soul--the rag in my hand is the spirit that says we’ll work on this together. No, your old oven may not shine like new as the label promised, but let me help you with this awful chore. Of course, if you own a self-cleaning oven you don’t have a clue what I’m going through. After the job, that dish rag was in bad shape, soiled and dirty but the fabric was strong and it worked with me on a messy job until we both looked and said–good enough! EASY OFF does say if you have stubborn stains, like your obsessive, negative attitudes or behaviors–ranting, raving, gossip, jealousy, resentment-- that’s a whole like a grease-- you might want to give the oven a second dose of cleaner to wipe out those stubborn stains. Well, isn’t that just like God to say you can grab me anytime when you find yourself in another greasy mess and I will help you scrub and wipe clean those sins. It’s hard work trying to be perfect, but God, our old dish rag, is waiting for our hand to take a hold and together wipe down those stains until we feel and look better and reflect the shine of God’s grace. So next time you grab a hold of that old dish rag, think of God working with you on your cleaning problems-- your lifestyle messes. Notice how the rag is stained, like God who took on our stains and weaknesses. We toss the rag into the washer, yet you know it will never look the same–just check out today’s photo. Our oven is a lot cleaner, perfect "heck no" but thank God he marks us on a curve so we don’t have to fear when the EASY OFF doesn’t quite do the job. Simply grab your dish rag again and again and know that God hears your cries for help to wipe up those greasy parts of your life with plenty of LOVE and MERCY.

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends when things get greasy let us never fear to take your hand to clean off some of the stains that keep us from being a light of goodness to others. Through our stubborn stains may you be our cleanser of hope.