Sunday, January 29, 2006

Faithfulness & Mercy

When we think of special friends, we often think of words that describe their particular personality or some aspect of their association with us. "He is so generous"–I’m thinking of you Stan always helping your friends and neighbors. "She’s a good friend." I’m thinking of you Penny praying for your friends and parishioners. "He is so faithful." I’m thinking of you right now Scott caring for your dying old dog.
When we think of God, two words that come to mind are faithfulness and mercy. In the scriptures these are the "windows" through which we catch a glimpse of who God is and how God acts.
Many people are truly afraid. There are many people who have many fears - - and I might add, rightly so. There are circumstances in life which promote one to fear. We call them storms. The story I share with you now is very old - in fact, you might have heard it. But everytime I think of it, my heart is encouraged about the window in which I see our God.
The ship was on a cruise. It was hit by a terrible storm. All on board were obviously quite afraid. One of the passengers noticed a small boy who apparently was not moved by the storm at all. The confidence of the boy was really noted. "Don't you think we will be lost and all drowned?" "Oh, no," the boy replied. "I've been out on deck and my dad is at the helm. My daddy is at the wheel."
When we have a strong sense of God being at the controls - there is a sense of peace that floods the heart. There is a security received. Even as I write these lines I think about the people I counsel daily who are going through various storms. We might say to ourselves that we are about to drown, but we need to look out the window that sees God as faithful and merciful and ready to help us in our storms for "our Heavenly Father is at the helm."
Today we need to pray for the grace to hear the psalm spoken to us: "My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with you." Psalm 89:25.

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that during a time of storm they can have their fear calmed by being mindful of your presence and your power. Through it all may their situation be put in the lifeboat of trust. Let this photo center you for a moment in your storm and allow God to bathe you with peace of mind and soul.