Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Wait and Pray


 

On Monday, I had been invited by my bishop to travel along with his family to their vacation home in Michigan. I had researched photo sites to take sunrise and sunsets and looked forward to spending time with his family.

 

However, at midnight eight hours before my departure, my Susan says “Are you awake?” She shares she is feeling some heart pressure that started earlier in the day and not sure what to do.

 

Without another word, we are on our way to the emergency department. The ED staff took her in immediately, hooked her up to a monitor, EKG and we waited and waited. Four hours later, a kind PA shared that no symptoms of a heart attack were recorded but she would like to admit Susan for an Echo and stress test. No problem. Next, the hospital doctor took her history and told me to come back at 9am when visiting hours start. She was in good hands.

 

My next chore was to return home, feed the kitties and give a pill to Tiny. Sue is the kitty trauma nurse at the animal shelter and she gave me instructions how to perform this task. Once home, I reassured all her kitties that “mommy kitty” will be OK and took Tiny into the bathroom and performed the task of inserting her pill with the pill shooter and success on the second try. No, she did not spit out her pill. The angels were helping me on this task.

 

Next, I gathered Sue’s kitty notes and diabolical Suduko book to keep her busy, but when I sat down for my cereal it hit me. What would I do if she did not come home? I prayed at that moment for her recovery, no pain, no complications. I thought about all the stuff in the attic, basement and garage. Where would I begin? Then I started to think. Would I want to stay and live in this house alone. That was unsettling. Would I move someplace else? Lord, give me strength and wisdom to move slowly. No panic, no decisions, just keep praying that the test results are negative and bring my beloved home. 

 

Back in the hospital, I learned she had her Echo at 8am, but now waiting for the stress test. And we wait some more. At 11am, the house doctor comes to explain the stress test procedures and we wait again. Then at 12:30, it’s only been 12 hours since we arrived, a kind volunteer takes her for her stress test procedure and tells me it will be about two hours.

 

I leave the hospital to do grocery shopping thinking positive thoughts that we will be home for dinner. I return home for the mail and second feeding of the kitties. Back at the hospital at 2pm, no Sue. I am texting family, her littermates the name for her volunteer friends at the shelter with updates. She arrives back in her room starving since she was on PTO since midnight and nurse Michelle brings her orange jello and juice and we wait again. Michelle shared that she started nursing in high school, worked multiple medical jobs and lucky for us is an ICU nurse filling in on this cardio floor with lots of compassion and practical knowledge.

 

It's 4:30pm and outside Sue’s door, nurse Michelle looks at her computer board, she smiles and says to me, “good news”. The results of the stress test show no heart damage. In practical words, Sue’s chest pressure was the result of stressors and she needs to change some medications and get her out of this hospital. As my Aunt Helen now in heaven would say, “Thank you Jesus.”

 

Yes, while Sue is dressing, I contacted her sister Mary and litter mates to report that things are under control. However, before we left nurse Michelle reviewed Sue’s med changes and shared her wisdom to take care of herself, no processed foods and consult with a cardiologist. She is absolutely the best! The Mother Teresa of the hospital.

 

So finally home, Sue is reunited with her seven kitties: Tiny, Tony, Daisy, Velvee, Arthur, Bayberry and Slinky. After 17 hours, it’s 5:30 and dinnertime. I cooked a salmon dinner with salads and thanked the good Lord for another typical day at the office. Except instead of providing trauma services for some employer, I got to provide support to my beloved Susie and her kitties.

 

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who have caregiver duties. Give us the strength to do what is best for our loved ones and thank you for your wisdom and strength.