Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Shepherd Never Gives Up

This Shepherd never gives up on her sheep. I literally was walking into the hospital to visit a young couple that just gave birth to triplets. As I walked onto the third floor, I met the new dad pushing the wheelchair with his beloved spouse when he started to cry on my shoulder. We silently washed our hands and made our way into the unit. It was there that I met the Good Shepherd.


The Shepherd doesn’t give up on her sheep. She was the doctor who gently explained what was going on and that their tiny little son was in serious condition. She drew his heart and showed what was wrong. But, then she told the parents, “your boy’s a fighter” and I will not give up for I have a few tricks up my sleeve. In the next moment, this shepherd asked me to baptize the baby and with the parents blessing we prayed and asked that this “little one’s” angels come to guard over and protect him.


The next twenty-four hours proved to be difficult for his oxygen levels began to drop, but once again the shepherd stood guard over her sheep and administered new medicines to bring the sheep back to life. We are at day seven and at this moment, our little lamb continues to survive and thrive at a miraculous pace. I have never witnessed such faith and tenacity in a pediatric doctor but she truly imitates what Jesus said: "I am the good shepherd. As the Father knows me and I know the Father, in the same way I know my sheep and they know me" (John 10:14).


Yes, there are many times in which we feel stretched and at the breaking point. These parents no doubt felt that Jesus is a million miles away. But we prayed as a family in these times of sickness and fear to guide us through some difficult decisions and believe these words: "My sheep know my voice, and I know them. They follow me, and I give them eternal life, so that they will never be lost. No one can snatch them out of my hand." (John 10:27-30).


As an artist, I love the theme of Jesus being pictured holding a lamb, or carrying a lamb across his shoulders, or watching over sheep. Jesus is the one who cares, the one who saves the lost, and rescues from trouble. He is the one who is intimately and individually concerned about each one of his sheep like our little infant. He provides his sheep with everything they need. The shepherd is the one whose staff and rod defend the sheep if any danger should come their way. Like the shepherd who doesn’t give up, our pediatric doctor refuses to give up and will not let anything harm her sheep in her care.


God prays for these parents and their baby boy as we reflect: “The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing else I need. I will not be afraid for you are close beside me.” (Psalm 23.)


Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends and our triplets, their mom and dad and young babies who needs our prayers and a shepherd’s watchful care. Help us to be shepherds to one another for goodness and love will follow us all our lives and we will live in the house of the Lord forever.