Sunday, April 04, 2010

Easter Begins in Nonsense

The disciples heard the women’s words and heard the angel’s words but found them all to be nonsense. No one was anticipating or even hoping for a resurrection. They knew, as we do, that things like that don’t happen in this world, that the world is more or less predictable: dead people stay dead, and death is where it ends for all of us. After all is said and done they all believed this: Easter begins in nonsense.


Wit is the title of a remarkable made for television movie. It’s about a woman, Vivian Bearing, who is an English professor, whose specialty is John Donne, the sixteenth-century poet and clergyman. Vivian is dying of cancer and she is virtually alone, dealing with doctors and nurses and hospitals and researchers who convince her to submit to a particularly powerful and painful experimental regimen of chemotherapy. She loses her hair, loses weight, is dreadfully sick, and the chemotherapy doesn’t work. Her tumor shrinks but the cancer spreads. She is going to die. Throughout the story, John Donne’s "Holy Sonnets," keeps coming up in memory, Donne wrote:


“Death be not proud, though some have called thee

Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so . . .

Why swell’st thou then?

One short sleep past, we wake eternally,

And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.”


John Donne’s words keep emerging in her subconscious. But then, as death nears, someone finally speaks her name. Her professor and mentor, now an elderly woman, seeks her, finds her, alone in her hospital bed and says, "Vivian–is that you?”--and then does the most remarkable thing–removes her shoes and gets in bed and holds Vivian, cradling her head to her breast. She reads Vivian the book she has brought. It’s not John Donne; it’s a simple child’s book about love that will not let us go. It is about what John Donne wrote about. It is about love more powerful than death.


“Once there was a little bunny, who wanted to run away.

So he said to his mother, "I am running away."

"If you run away," said his mother, "I will run after you, for you are my little bunny."

"If you run after me," said the little bunny, "I will become a fish in a trout stream and I will swim away from you."

"If you become a fish in a trout stream," said his mother, "I will become a fisherman and I will fish for you."

"I will be come a rock,"

"If you become a rock, I will become a mountain climber and I will climb to where you are."

"I will become a bird and fly away from you."

"If you become a bird and fly away from me," said his mother, "I will be a tree that you come home to." (The Runaway Bunny, Margaret Wise Brown)


God prays for us as we reflect: “ “He asked you for life, and you gave it to him—length of days, for ever and ever. (Psalm 21:4).


Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends on this Easter who celebrate your life giving words. In the quiet of your heart, imagine Jesus crawling into bed with you, holding you close to his chest and speaking the words of everlasting life. "And death shall be no more, Death, thou shalt die." Death no longer rules. Jesus Christ is risen today.