Dear Sonshine Friends,
As we pause to look back on the tragic events of September 11, 2001, I wanted to share a personal reflection with you all. It is a memory that stays with me deeply, not as a point of pride, but as a reminder of how God calls us to serve in moments of absolute brokenness [
On the day of the attacks, I was called to serve with the JetBlue Care Team at JFK Airport in New York City. There, we did our best to care for the thousands of stranded, frightened passengers who were caught up in the immediate chaos of that tragedy.
Shortly after, JetBlue management asked me to return to New York City to oversee a much larger effort. I was deeply humbled by this request. Guided entirely by the wisdom and strength of the Holy Spirit, I accepted this invitation to serve. I was assigned to JetBlue Airways, where I served for three years as the Director of Mental Health Services.
During those difficult years, my mission was simply to be an instrument of peace for the airline's 4,000 crew members who were flying out into 12 cities across the country. The Holy Spirit gave me the strength to provide critical incident counseling and trauma support to:
- Airline pilots carry the immense weight of returning safely to the skies.
- Flight crew members processing deep anxiety and fear.
- Administrative staff working tirelessly behind the scenes.
Looking back, I am simply grateful that God could use me to bring a small glint of His comfort and "sonshine" into such a dark chapter of our history.
Today, I invite you to join your hearts with mine as we lift up those who lost everything on that fateful day.
A Blessing Prayer for the Fallen and Their Families
Heavenly Father, God of all comfort and peace,
We come to You today with solemn and heavy hearts as we remember the devastating day our nation changed. We hold close in prayer the 2,753 precious souls who went to work or stepped onto planes that morning and lost their lives in and around the Twin Towers We pray for their eternal rest, knowing that You have wrapped them safely in Your loving, eternal embrace
Lord, we also lift up the thousands of surviving family members, spouses, children, and friends who have had to carry the heavy weight of that sudden grief. For the parents who lost children, the children who grew up without parents, and everyone still missing a piece of their heart—pour out Your overwhelming grace Send them comfort when the memories hurt, strength when the days feel long, and a deep, healing peace that surpasses all human understanding
Thank You for guiding us through the dark times, and help us to always live with a spirit of kindness, courage, and unconditional love In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.
With love and blessings,
Fr. Matt Kawiak
