Sunday, April 02, 2023

The Lord Has Need of You


 

“The Lord has need of it.” That’s what the disciples are told to say. It’s a simple phrase. “The Lord has need of it.” Think of the money in your purse or your wallet right now. Imagine someone saying, “The Lord has need of it.” Now think of something valuable you own like your truck, or ATV, or stereo. Now imagine hearing, “The Lord has need of it” I confess, I don’t know what I would say, how I would respond.

 

So I think about that donkey owner and I wonder if he had a bad night. I wonder if he was up early, peeking out, hoping against hope that the call wouldn’t come, that what he had been told wouldn’t happen. I imagine a quiet early morning as he looks out and sees the moving shadows the disciples, hopes they are going somewhere else, knows they are not. Finally, they are at his gate; he opens it, they look at each other and say what they’ve been told: “The Lord has need of it.” It’s just the three of them and the animals and he has to make a choice. Right here, right now he has to decide.

 

For all the stories of Holy Week, from this parade Jesus riding on the donkey, to the other parade, the one that goes to Golgotha, are all about people meeting Jesus. You are reflecting on the homily I wrote for Deacon Erick who is celebrating Palm Sunday in Las Vegas. I have been deployed and joining him to lead the Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday services. 

 

Jesus comes to Palm Sunday riding a donkey but more importantly he comes because some disciple had the faith to say when the call came, “Yes, Lord!” as I said yes to my bishop to help the good people of Divine Mercy. 

 

Right here, right now, we are being asked to meet Jesus, to follow him, to go with him throughout this week. We all have schedules to keep, things to do but this is what this story tells us about our time: “The Lord has need of it.” You’ve heard the conversations before the cross: now it’s time for your own conversation. Jesus has come to Jerusalem: has he come to you? Can you hear him say about your own time, your own life, right here, right now, “The Lord has need of it”?

 

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends, especially the people of Divine Mercy who have reopened their doors to welcome their neighbors, strangers and all in need of comfort and hope. The Lord “has need of you” right at this moment to say “yes, Lord, your will be done.” What will you decide, how will you reply?