Thursday, May 05, 2022

Anniversary


 

I am sitting in the conference room at Oishei Children’s Hospital across the table with two dedicated emergency transport nurse managers. I was deployed to provide support to their medical staff who experienced a terrible tragedy. The pilot of the Mercy Flight helicopter had died in a crash. While the staff was coping with the death of their co-worker they had to deal with their own fear of flying. This dedicated staff of respiratory nurses and pediatric doctors had gone on endless flights to transport newborn babies in distress or save the lives of countless children who had been in accidents and distress.

 

In our discussion, the nurse managers who had been working for over 25 years starting chatting about their retirement, They had devoted their lives to healing and bringing comfort. Now, perhaps with this incident it was time to pass on their compassion and expertise to the next generation.

 

While they were discussing when “enough was enough” I started to reflect on my journey as a priest. Today, May 6th is my 45th Anniversary of my ordination. My mission has been and continues to bring healing and comfort to suffering souls.

 

It is interesting that when I made the decision to hand off Holy Family to the next generation, I was not steping down from serving as a healer, but simply redefining how best I could serve God at this stage in my ministry.

 

In the past year, I have had the privilege of helping Bishop Mack recruit several men from Pakistan, Chicago and Hawaii to serve as pastors and deacons in churches around the country. I serve as their “shepherd” meaning when they have a question about their ministry or training and they need to reflect about their ministry “I am here to help.”

:

In addition, my clinical work has also taken on a new phase in that I have been asked to serve as consultant to three outstanding programs. I am truly humbled that Mary Cariola, The School of Holy Childhood, and CDS Life Transitions have asked for my help to serve their dedicated teachers, therapists, nurses and administrators to cope with the stress of Covid and everyday challenges of life.

 

I am grateful to many people who have supported my ministry and yesterday met with one of my early mentors, a master floral designer who 30 years ago when I walked into his floral shoppe to buy flowers for the retired Mercy Sisters on Valentiune’s day offered to teach me how to design flowers. He continues to send me a card every year on my anniversary and his card says it all “Mazel Tov” Happy 45th Jubilee!

 

I am grateful to all the priests who shepherded my vocation: Fr. Alex, Fr. Siduara, Fr. Karp. Fr. Adamski, Bishop Peplowski, Msgr Leo, Fr. Bob. These men are all with God and I believe continue to guide and help me to bring Our Lord’s mercy, compassion and love to all his children.

I am also grateful to all my friends: Ted, Ken, Arnie, Gail, Tim, David, Jeff, Stan, Fr. Don, Fr. Corey, Bishop John, the list is endless and I am most appreciative of thier prayerful support.

 

Lord, I pray for all my Sionshine Friends who have enjoyed my journey of faith in these reflections the past 22 years. Hopefully a smile, a few tears but mostly comfort that we are never alone. We trust in You alone as you continue to guide, protect and give us courage to face all the challenges of life. Praise God!

 

PS The image I used today are the signs created by the children at St. Boniface School that I posted outside my office door located on the children’s unit when I worked as chaplain at Strong Memorial Hospital.