Friday, February 25, 2022

Nurse's Prayer

 


What’s a priest to do if he gets laryngitis? Imagine if father couldn’t speak this Sunday, most likely in your parish, Mass would get over a lot quicker. However, in my case, you learn to “gut it out.”

 

The memorial service for my cousin was over, however, I had twelve online patients on Monday and then came “only a whisper.” Laryngitis could not come at a worse time, since I had a scheduled onsite debriefing for a group of Intensive Care nurses on Tuesday night. Yes, I could have rescheduled, but then I would have missed the courageous stories of some of the best nurses in the county.

 

I learned that this group had loving taken care of a young mom with four school age children over four months before the young mom died of Covid. These dedicated women and men shared that they had cared for over 80 patients who died of Covid in the past six months and for a small community hospital this was historic.

 

With my laryngitis, they kept offering me hot tea and I just listened to their stories when at Christmas they brought a tree into this mother’s room and gave gifts to all her children. But a moment still most painful for a young nurse was when she took out the tube before this patient died. She told me, “This gave her life and I was the one who took that away.” The family had made their decision to withdraw life support so that their daughter could rest from her pain and suffering.

 

To all our nurses who daily display the compassion of our Lord to the sick and dying, our gratitude can never express our humble thanks for those moments none of us would be able to face nor perform. With laryngitis, you listen more as another nurse shared her painful story of working a twelve-hour shift in which six patients died, though numb, she performed her duties and hugged every family member after the death of their loved one.

 

So maybe if I was still serving in a parish, the service would be shorter and I might even have someone read my reflection to save my voice. But I am glad I made no excuses to go out when needed and affirm and bless the good work of this courageous group of nurses.

 

So what’s my point, you may be feeling out of sorts, in a “funk” meaning listless, cranky and irritable. I took my OTC pain relievers, drank lots of hot tea, wore my mask, sucked on a lozenge and listened with the mind, heart and soul of Jesus who taught: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in.”

 

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends, all our nurses who offer Your comfort and love to all Covid patients. Forward the following “A Nurse’s Prayer to be Enough during the Covid Pandemic” by a nurse Sister Patricia Linehan.

 

Lord Jesus, You only have us
to care for COVID-19 patients,
to reassure they are not alone, that we will do our very best, and they are safe.
Let us be Your presence.

 

Lord Jesus, You only have us
to watch closely for changes in breathing, panic in eyes, quickened pulse.
We act, respond to whatever presents, and then we pray.
Let us be Your healing touch.

 

Lord Jesus, You only have us,
to give comfort when pain is in every movement, without loving family support.
We medicate, monitor, adjust ventilators and IV lines, and invent communication pathways.
Let us be Your comfort and relief.

 

Lord Jesus, You only have us,
to come back tomorrow, to face our own fears and exhaustion.
We use caution, and PPE, and experience, and new technology to stop corona progress.
Let us be Your vigilance.

 

Lord Jesus, You only have us,
to stand in for You. Make ours Your healing touch. Make ours the words You’d speak.
Make our outreach to families and loved ones the comfort and hope You’d give.
Let us be Your love.

 

Lord Jesus, You only have us,
when a colleague falls ill, our ranks are diminished and threatened.
Make our efforts enough to go ‘round, let it be enough for all,
As you did the loaves and fishes, enough for all.
Let us be Your enough.