Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sometimes it Doesn't Click

In the field, I like to travel light with the least amount of clutter when taking photos of some pristine landscape or delicate flowers in the meadows. Many years ago, I was visiting Tobomory in Ontario with a group of park tourist as we were heading for Flower Pot Island. On this tour, a local photographer was taking photos for a magazine and I noticed how simply he moved about the rocky paths. He had a fanny pack around his waist and all his camera gear, lens, camera bodies and film were always available. He walked with a monopod to steady his hands and feet and I marveled at how swiftly he was able to change lens with the system he had developed.

I like to copy people who have simple ideas so I purchased a photo fanny pack. On each photo shoot, I carry my lens, camera, extras batteries and digital disks, no film for passionate soul. However about three weeks ago, I lost the clip that secures the belt around my waist. I searched all the usual places where I store my gear with no luck. Finally, I went to my friends at Rowe, but their solution was that to go online and purchase a new clip.

I happened to be driving on Ridge Road and decided to check another camera store. One of the salesmen is a Nikon guru who knows equipment, but as I waiting for him another young salesman heard my story took the fanny belt and simply unclick the buckle and said, “Here you go.” I was embarrassed and surprised. It appeared that the clip was in the buckle all along and that it slipped out of the belt. Are there not times the answer to life’s complicated problems is staring at you in your face, but you are just too anxious to see the solution? Must be stress.

Many times we struggle through difficult moments like the young couple praying for there premature triplets to grow healthy, or a professor recovering miraculously from his burns in a fire. Then there is the unemployed searching desperately for another job. or the senior mother emotionally abused by her addicted adult son. Sometimes our brains fail to click to find the solution to our problems. At these times, I feel a quiet moment away from the busiest of our lives helps to slow us down and reboot our brains so that we can better manage with the complicated situations of our lives.

This morning let me take you for a walk through a bluebell meadow. It’s a moment where you can spend a few moments of peace and quiet. We learn in scripture that Jesus went off to the desert to pray. It was his moment to relax and reboot his head and his heart. Well, I’m grateful that instead of a desert I have the natural forest to allow my soul to reboot and find calm in a storming situation.

God prays for us as we reflect: “He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters.” (Psalm 23:2).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who are not clicking very well these days. Maybe they lost someone special to them or daily struggle with a chronic illness. As they walk along the bluebell meadow, let them feel the cool breeze on their face and may the breath of your Spirit fill their minds and hearts with your heavenly peace.