Monday, April 14, 2008

Stillness

I opened my windows this morning to listen to a glorious chorus of bird song. It’s still dark and before another busy day, I want to take you back to a moment when I bathed myself in “stillness.” It was Saturday morning and I planned to attend the Braddock Bay Birds of Prey Show. However, I was the first one in the parking lot at 6am, so I took a stroll over to the outlook to see who was migrating on the bay.

The stillness was healing for the first wildlife I noticed were two white swans drifting reverently on the pond as I said my prayers of thanks. Overhead you would hear the honking of the geese as they swoop down onto the water to look for prey. Of course, what made this moment of stillness special was that the whole scene was veiled in fog. This made the whole scene magic. How I wish all of you were at my side at this moment to relax and allow the mist to fill your veins with peace and contentment.

As I scanned the pond, the fog is slowly rolling in from the lake and bathing the cattails and willows with a shroud that made everything look like heaven’s doorway to eternity. Can’t you feel your tension and pain of many anxious years seeping away? Imagine now the Christ, holding you close with your head on his shoulder as you gaze over the pond and mist. You see you are never alone in your sorrows or pain. For the mist is the visible sign of the presence of our healing God.

I have no doubt that most likely you are at an anxious moment in your life when your veins are filled with chemicals that drive you mad with rage or sorrow, despair or fear. Let the silence of waters in the bay and the mist in the air fill your lungs and soul this morning with a calm like you never imagined in your life. In a whisper, invite the Lord into your heart and let the Spirit wash your fears and anxiety away with the courage and wisdom that says my “little one, please be at peace.”

God prays for us as we reflect: “ They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven.” (Psalm 107:30).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who feel helpless by the troubles of life. Come and guide us to your calming stillness that removes all our fears and heals the wounds of this life. Help us to listen to the singing of the birds in the morning and feel your presence in the mist that assures us that we are never alone but rest in your tender embrace of pure love.