Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Will I Be Missed?

He was 50 years old when I was born, and a "Mr. Mom" long before anyone had a name for it. I didn't know why he was home instead of Mom, but I considered myself very lucky because he did so many things for me during my grade school years. For example, he always had my lunch ready for me when I came home--usually a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that was shaped for the season. My favorite was at Christmas. The sandwiches would be sprinkled with green sugar and cut in the shape of a tree.

When I went to high school and tried to gain my independence, I wanted to move away from those "childish" signs of his love, but dad didn't give up. Since I was no longer able to go home for lunch, dad would get up a little early and make a lunch for me. I never knew what to expect. There might be a napkin with a heart inscribed with "Dad-n-KK" in its center or an "I love you." Many times he would write a joke or a riddle on it.

I used to hide my lunch so no one would see the napkin, but that didn't last long. One of my friends saw it one day, grabbed it, and passed it around the lunch room. My face was red with embarrassment. To my astonishment, the next day all my friends were waiting to see the napkin. From the way they acted, I think they all wished they had someone who showed them that kind of love. I was so proud to have him as my father.

I left home for college, I missed seeing him every day after school and so I called him a lot. We started a ritual during that first year that stayed with us. After I said good-bye he always said, "K K, I love you." It was during this time that Dad became stricken with cancer. When the letters didn't come, I knew that he had been sick and wasn't able to write.

Those were the hardest days to go through. To watch this man, who always acted so young, age past his years. I was alone with him in his hospital room a couple of days before he died. We held hands and watched TV. As I was getting ready to leave, he said, "KK'” "Yes, Dad?" “Ilove you." "I love you, too, Dad."

I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that one message I wish that I could hammer home to all of you, whether you are fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, grandmothers or grandfathers, it is the message of this story: to tell one another "I love you" while you still can