Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Making A List

Yesterday, during my morning commute to the office, two radio jocks were teasing their listeners and advising all their male buddies “Don’t do it!” Don’t get married, don’t buy a home and don’t have kids. However, these silly announcers fessed up that they are married, own a home and have kids. What’s their point?
It’s lots of work but “it’s worth it!” They asked their audience to share what was their most special memory as a dad. One dad shared taking his son to a World Series ballgame. Then another dad chimed in, holding his first born for the first time. This is the way God created the “male brain.” It travels in circles with all its silliness until it makes a soft landing on the correct runway.

Along with “lots of work” came the profound message that being a dad means, “making a list.” After his morning show, one announcer ran through his list for the day. Replace the rubber mat in the basement, fix a leaky toilet, paint the outdoor porch, repair and clean the grill, and build a dog run. Perplexed, his radio colleague asked: How long have you had the dog? Two years was his friend’s reply. To which his buddy said: “and you think today you’re going to get it all done.” That’s male brain again.

Another dad shared that he was going through some turmoil last week. At his breaking point, on his “to do list” he found himself in the chapel of one of the area hospitals. I wonder if it was the chapel where I celebrated so many prayers for patients and staff? He emailed me that “Prayer” brought him a peace that he had not in some time.

Let me quote: “It washed over me as I sat quietly and asked God to listen. I think that God already knows where I am without asking him to notice, but knowing that I was not alone was very good for me.”

God is praying for you dads who have “too much” on your “to do list.”
Pray and reflect: “Come to me, all (dads) who find life burdensome. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matt 11:29-30.

I recommend that the next time you make your “to do list” don’t forget to list some time with God in prayer to heal your tired bones and weary spirit.

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Dads and nurturing fathers whose “job lists” seem endless. When they need a sounding board, you make a difference because before your eyes they are truly “awesome!”