Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Resolutions

Yesterday, newspapers were full of individual and collective new year resolutions. Most of those, however, are not resolutions at all but only wishes. What is the difference between a resolution and a wish? A wish identifies a goal one wants to reach, a resolution specifies the steps one will take to reach it.

A wish says this is where I want to be, a resolution says this is the road I will take, this is what I will do to get there. The wishful person says "I will lose some weight to feel healthier this year" and the resolved person says "I will find a buddy who wants to take a walk with me for an hour daily to improve my sleep and feel more refreshed." The wishful student says "I will pass my exams this semester" and the resolved student says "I will devote an extra hour to my studies everyday in order to pass my exams." The wishful parent says "I will have more peace in my family this year" and the resolved parent says "I will spend more time with my family at the table instead of rushing off to the TV or computer." The wishful person says "I will live a life closer with God" and the resolved person says "I will set aside this time everyday to pray and hear God's word." The difference between wishing and resolving is: are we prepared to do what it takes to make our dreams come true?

I always wanted to take photos of the giant sequoia trees in California. A resolved person says "I will spend time with a mentor each week to learn the best digital landscape techniques and plan a trip to visit the sequoia." A National Park ranger was taking visitors through the forest and she remarked that the roots of the sequoia are very shallow. That was a surprise to me. How in the world could such gigantic trees stand up with shallow roots? The first strong wind would knock them over like bowling pins. However, the ranger pointed out that sequoias interconnect their roots and their branches so that when there is a fierce wind they interlock and support each other. That's why they don't fall.

Whenever we fell helpless or tied in knots about any decision this year we might wish that God would spare us another hardship. The resolved person will talk out their fears to God and spend time listening to what God has to say about our situation. At that moment you must pray for the mind of Christ in the decision.

Sometimes all we do is pick up the cell, read out our list of problems to God and drop the phone without listening to hear what God has to say to us. This year, resolve to listen more to the voice of God, so that at the end of the year you will say, "This has been the Lord’s doings and it is marvelous in our eyes." This comes when we surrender our will and only after praying and living "Thy will be done".

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends to spend time each morning to listen to Your voice so that "Thy will be done." As you gaze upon the roots of this photo with its intertwining roots. may you clearly see God’s will and find comfort and peace.