Sunday, October 04, 2020

I Am Simon


 

Last Thursday with it being the start of October, someone posted online: “Good News, 2020 is 3/4 over!”  Which was quickly followed by messages ranging from “it’s only 3/4 over… “don’t know if we’re going to make it thru another quarter…”  Undoubtedly, by any measure this has been a historically challenging year on seemingly every level.  Whether it’s the viral pandemic, civil strife and seemingly growing polarizing division we see, or horrific weather events from wildfires to hurricanes.  And that’s not even taking into account the challenges, the struggles, the setbacks and difficulties so many people are dealing with on a local level in their homes, their families.  It’s understandable that there’s been widespread weariness, frustration and even depression. Despite this chaos, I receive the following email.

 

Thank you so much Matt.  I needed this to reset my compass and the direction I am going. I guess that I am somewhat of a religious person even though my ass rarely finds its way to the church. I think I have told you this before.  For many years, I have had a favorite station of the cross. it moves me as much today as it did when I sat and had that revelation some 20+ years ago. I was brought to that station again recently. I went to a funeral a week or so ago. It was assigned seating and mine happened to be in front of my favorite....Number 5.... Simon helps.

 

Jesus was on his way to his crucifixion, weak and bloodied, stumbling and falling. Simon is a “dufus” like me wandering along, minding my own business. Suddenly, he is pulled from the crowd and told to help Jesus.  Why him? Why was he there at that place and time? He was for a reason and it was to help Jesus when asked. To do what God had ask...to help his son.

 

In my years of volunteering, I have always looked at myself and all volunteers as we are the modern-day Simons. We don't know why we are asked to help, but we are.  I always have felt that this is the hand of God resting on our shoulders asking us to help...to do his will...... without whining or complaining much. For what we are asked to do is not for us, it's not to fulfill our egos, but rather to do the work of God on earth as asked. 

 

I am Simon. 

 

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who find themselves being invited by God to be another Simon. Taking a neighbor for their flu shot, volunteering at our Comfort Home for the dying, caretaking our mother-in-law, helping our kids with their virtual homework, making our meal reservation ahead of time for the Spaghetti Dinner so Sandy knows how many “meatballs” to order.  Transform our “dufus” and whining brains and infuse your humility and compassionate spirit so that we simply say yes: “Your will be done.” 

 

You’re invited to follow the link below to enjoy the beauty reflected in images captured in the photography of Father Matt.  Today’s Sonshine image is a new 2020 image that can be found in the Autumn Gallery. Proceeds will support the ministries of our parish and comfort home: www.frmatt.com