Monday, April 08, 2024

God Moment-Hugging the Cross

I have returned from my deployment serving as mentor, teacher and best friend to Fr. Erick, pastor Divine Mercy Parish in Las Vegas. I was most humbled and privileged to concelebrate at all the Holy Week and Easter Sunday services. The 200 Hispanic and Anglo families faith, courage and fortitude have not only survived financial scandal but are a community whose current leadership have helped to heal and flourish as the most dynamic Polish National Catholic Church in the world. 

Fr., Erick’s theme on the Resurrection was a question he often hears from his people: “I want to meet Jesus.” In my Easter Masses, I signed the words: “I see Jesus’ love in you.” Everyone in church young and old with smiles on their faces signed these words and experienced that the divine spark of Easter lives in each one of our hearts.

After Easter, I had planned a brief photo tour of three Nevada State Parks. Landscape photography is my opportunity to see Jesus in the stunning beauty of Our Lord’s creation.

So my first image is Shoshoon Falls taken at sunset located in Twin Pines, Idaho. It was 8pm and all the visitors had left the viewing platform and it was dark and cold. There are moments when we feel depressed and alone and God seems far away with all the struggles of life. This image taken at twilight reflects when we allow the light of God’s grace to come into our life and our troubles are transformed and we are given a new life and hope.

 


The Easter stories have the disciples lost in confusion, despair and grief. However, when Jesus appears to the apostles His message is an invitation to “stay with Him.” This is the same message the Divine Mercy families have witnessed in the past year that shouts ”we are here to stay.” My second photo is sunset at Cathedral Gorge that displays the beauty of the rock formation and reflects the beauty of your faith to stay close and follow Fr. Erick. 

 


 My third image was taken in total blackness. It is 11pm and I am standing looking up into the dark sky with a billion stars. However, I composed the photo with a rock formation in the foreground that stands for your strong faith in Jesus and one another. Sadly, many who were hurt by the past have left this church, but if you look up into the sky they will forget all those hurts and see the love of Jesus reflected in the billions of stars that represent your generosity and good works to keep Divine Mercy open to all and flourishing with this message, “Jesus is alive and walks in your midst for the spark of the divine is in each of your hearts. 

 


My fourth and final image is a moment that I will never forget. It is the Good Friday Service and the community is invited to come up to venerate the cross. We are invited to express our gratitude for Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross for our sins. With humble hearts, people walked up to the cross to kiss or touch the wood. However, one mom was bringing her children up close, when suddenly her little boy hugged the cross with all his might. 

 


Let this image of this little boy rest in your mind and heart. Take that boy’s passion back to your homes and like the apostles ask everyone you meet this week “Would you like to come to my church?” When someone asks you why simply say: “ALL ARE WELCOMED FOR JESUS IS IN YOU!!!” 

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that when we look at that little boy hugging the cross it makes us humble enough to think that we have a friend in Jesus who died for our sins so that we may share in His glory.