Saturday, February 17, 2024

Obstacles


 

After a recent snow storm with wind gusts of 60 mph, I walked the trails in our forest and found that a huge tree had broken hallway up its trunk and fell across the trail, blocking the path forward. Yes, there are obstacles that we stumble upon in life, but when it comes to a down tree, I have learned to ask for help.

 

What are some of the obstacles you are facing at this time. My next door neighbor food stamp card wasn’t working, coworkers were adjusting after the traumatic accidental death of one of their workers. I had received a phone call from Florida asking for help to transport their spouse back home for cancer treatment. Sadly, this morning I drove to the home of this a man’s step son to inform him that his stepdad had died this morning in hospice.

 

Yes, there is much suffering in our lives, but I have learned to call on good friends to help cut up the branches of that down tree so that we can move forward again along the trail. Lent invites us to reconnect with our friend Jesus. You might ask does God really need our friendship?

 

My answer is definitely yes!  Like that down tree, I could have tried on my own to cut up the limbs, but fearful the trunk might break away and cause an injury. Rather, my good friend and arborist John knows where to cut the limbs safely. So together we carefully removed the branches and opened the trail again. 

 

 


 

I am grateful for all my mentors. Friends who come to be with us in silence in times of sorrow. Friends who come to share the joys in our life. Friends who wisely share their experience to keep us safe out of harms way. Jesus created his children so that He could be there for us in our sorrow and joys, in sickness and health, in moments we despair or exhausted from all the stresses in our life.

 

I have one obstacle that I have struggled with for five years. My goal for my farm that we call “Reviresco” a Latin word meaning. “to be green again” is to create a community to serve adults and children with intellectual and developmental disabilities. My vision is to develop an agricultural-style community that offers an inclusive environment to learn, work, live and grow.

 

I regret to share that I have contacted various agencies, colleges, and foundations to make this vision for the land into a perpetual learning center.  Their response is an invitation to donate at the end life and funds would support their programs.

 

I am searching for a friend, or friends, or an agency, school or foundation willing to accept the challenge to help recreate Reviresco into a learning center for those

with physically, intellectual, and emotional challenges who would appreciate visiting along the banks of a stream, watching a waterfall or glancing up at an owl in the trees.

 

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends, and I ask all who come to this blog to forward this reflection to your friends, neighbors and colleagues. I welcome a helping hand with this obstacle that continues to block the trail and help bring the beauty of this parkland into the lives of those who would appreciate the opportunity to come to Reviresco and enjoy the beauty of God’s creation.

Free free to call or email if you or someone would like to help.

Fr. Matt 585-520-86750 or email: drmattkawiak@gmail.com

                                 

                                                               REVIRESCO