Sunday, July 09, 2023

I Will Give You Rest


 

Last Sunday, I shared Jesus’ teaching about acts of kindness that will not go unrewarded. Last Monday morning, a retired teacher and forester came to my farm to cut down a hanging log that smashed the tractor windshield. Later in the afternoon, I listened to Sarah’s fear that her parish in Las Vegas will need to look for another church building.

On the Fourth of July, our fire chief helped change a flat tire on a trailer stranded in front of his house. The tourist had no spare so he gave him a tire to get back home. Later on the 4th, Fr. Don called that a former parishioner of mine from 47 years ago returned from hospital in Florida. She is good friends with his wife Yvonne. I thought it might be nice to send her a gift but instead of flowers I remembered the afghans volunteers at the cathedral sewed for the sick. I now have a beautiful afghan that I will put in the mail this morning.

Then on Wednesday, I received an email from a dear friend in Farmington who regretfully received a bill for 1.2 million dollars for his wife’s heart surgery. He is a compassionate caregiver to his lovely spouse but their insurance is challenging the hospital billing. Once again, I am sadly aware that our medical system in this country is broken. Later in the afternoon, I drove my wife for her first physical therapy appointment to cope with a chronic back pain. By coincidence, Maggie, my neighbor, also comes to this PT office and missed her appointment thinking it was later in the week. I shared with the office staff that Maggie’s sister is her “uber” driver and gave the staff her cell phone number to schedule future visits. Then at the end of the day, a package arrived from Fr. Erick. To my surprise and delight, it was bottle of imported tequila from Mexico in thanks for helping him in his challenging ministry.

This Sunday, we hear Jesus teach: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke

upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

Make no mistake, Jesus knows we sometimes carry heavy burdens. But Jesus is saying, “Your burdens are so much of your own making. Why do you burden yourself so cruelly? Come here. Take up the burden, the yoke I have for you. I have an easy yoke and a light burden. Yes, my child, in your life you will have to carry a burden, but why not carry my yoke? I assure you it will immediately put you in eternal life, and it will be a light yoke, an easy yoke. Come on, try me. You will find rest for your souls.”

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends whose acts of kindness help others bring relief of their burdens. We have a shoulder to lean on when our burden is too much to bear. Be at ease my friends, for Jesus is callin: “Come on, try me. You will find rest for your souls.”

I wonder if in the life of Jesus anyone ever gave him any special gifts?