Sunday, February 12, 2023

Urgent Request to Find Spinach

 


The first children’s homily that Jesus ever taught came at a moment when he finds his disciples arguing about one of those things that do not matter, not in the family of God, anyway. They have been fussing and fighting over which disciple is the greatest.

It is particularly ironic and disappointing that they are arguing about this right after Jesus has told them that as the Messiah he will have to suffer and die for the world, and that as his followers they will need to “deny self and take up a cross” as well. He presents them with a model of complete helplessness and weakness and they respond by contending for positions of power and influence. In other words, “they don't get it.’


Jesus overheard their arguing and called them on it, asking them "what were you talking about?" And they were silent. They couldn't answer him.  

 
I imagine Jesus taking a deep breath, sighing and with a somewhat forced smile, saying, "Come here y’all, sit down, let's talk. Let me see if I can find a better way to explain this to you."


He proceeded to talk about how whoever wants to be first must be last and a servant of everyone. Then, he shared the first children's sermon, complete with an actual child as the object in the object lesson. Jesus reached into the crowd and pulled a child, probably a toddler, into the room. Then he said, “Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me, but the one who sent me.”

One of the joys I miss in ministry is taking “Spinach” into the classroom or church on First Friday’s and presenting a “children’s homily.” Spinach is a puppet I received from a teacher to help me share stories about God’s love for his children. A green, odd-looking creature with big loving eyes, the kids “did get it” for they would cheer whenever I brought Spinach along to teach them about Jesus. These kids have grown up with children of their own, and I am amazed that after 40 years some will ask me: “Where’s Spinach?”

 

Now in two weeks, I have been asked to help a parish in need of a priest to celebrate 100 kids First Communion. I have written a wonderful story for the kids and want to bring along Spinach to help me tell the story. BIG PROBLEM. I can’t find Spinach. Really, I thought I had him bundled up with my other stuffed toys, but the bag of toys is missing.

 

A picture of Spinach is posted on this Sonshine and I really need your help. If for some reason he lost way into the Salvation Army toy bid, buy hi let me know ASAP. Or perhaps if you see him on Amazon, let me know and I will adopt him. I really need my buddy to tell these First Communion kids how much Jesus love them. I leave on February 22nd and urgently need your help. Big prayers to St. Anthony in lost and found, but I checked all my boxes and he has disappeared.

 

“Where are you Spinach?” Fr. Matt needs you again. Call my cell 585-520-8650 if you find him OR email: drmattkawiak@gmail.com