Sunday, July 31, 2022

I Got Too Much Stuff

 

Appetite, The gospel story this Sunday was about appetite. Appetites are a great thing. The problem is how quickly they grow. No matter how much we add, we always typically want a little more. How much is enough. The answer is usually just a wee bit more. The evidence is all around us. Almost half of American families spend more than they earn. And the average American family carries $6000 of credit card debt. Look at our houses. Somebody says we probably need a little more room. Look at our garages, they look bigger than our houses use to be.

 

Our appetites grow and grow and never really realize that they are out of control until it’s too late. I got lots of stuff. The older I get the more stuff I get. When your parents pass away, we get some of their stuff. Your kids keep giving you stuff and your grandkids give you even more stuff. I’m not jealous about my stuff or jealous about your stuff. I’m not one of those guys who wants your stuff. I don’t need your stuff. I’m happy you have your stuff. I’m happy that you have even better stuff. Just keep your hands off of my stuff. This is my stuff. You got your own stuff.

 

One day I was thinking what would happen it a tree fell on my stuff. So I call my insurance agent to learn how much it would cost to protect my stuff. He said lots of money. He advised to take an inventory of my stuff. Write down everything you have so if something does happen we know what you have. You won’t tell us that you got something better.

 

Make an Excel spread sheet keep it on google dock. If you have an IPhone take pictures of all your stuff. Be sure you get the manufacturer and serial number so we know clearly what kind of stuff you got.

 

So I did all that, I got so much stuff. I look at my wife Sue and say, “we got too much stuff” and she says, “you know just when you get rid of it then you need it.”  

 

Then it came to me like a revelation from God. I can rent one of those self-storage units to store my extra stuff. Not my good stuff that stays in my house, but my OK stuff. My good stuff stays in my house, my OK stuff is in my mini storage and includes the seasonal stuff like easter bunny stuff and my Santa stuff. I don’t want to give away stuff, because it’s my stuff.

 

I got too much stuff. However, I’m not alone. I read in the United States that there are three billion square feet of mini storage. We love our stuff. Maybe that’s why Jesus talks about greed and money. He talks about money 20 time more than about sex and lust. In confession, I heard folks confess to things they done in life but never heard anyone says “I love stuff.”: Father what my problem is: “I love stuff way too much.” I think my problem is greed.

 

Greed is one deadly sin that nobody thinks they’re guilty of. Greed the inordinate desire for stuff, not wanting it but wanting it too much, excessive worry and concern about where to store it, let’s just think for a moment.

 

On one hand Jesus talks about greed twenty times more than he talks about sex and lust. On the other hand, none of us think that we are guilty of greed.,

 

So if Jesus talks about greed that much and none of us think we are guilt of greed, then maybe, He’s right. It’s the one sin that we probably are not aware of.

 

Why did Jesus come into our world, you were the one thing that he didn’t have. He gave up his glory, His glory to purchase you. You are more valuable to him than anything. Anything. He will do anything to purchase you. Anything for us.

 

I wonder if you ever realized that you are Jesus’ ultimate treasure. It’s a wonderful thought that I think melts your heart. It changes you on the inside. It changes everything about you and everything else becomes just stuff.

 

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that we realize that we are Our Lord’s greatest treasure. With this revelation, may we be free to use our life and our stuff to help heal the world.