Sunday, March 14, 2021

How to Pray


 

Let me suggest that for the next 21 days before Easter, you find 10 minutes in your busy schedule to pray. Here is a sample of how to get in the habit of daily prayer for the rest of your life.  

Find a quiet spot, in your home, or better yet in church and start your prayer with…

1.    Gratitude: Begin by thanking God, like talking to trusted friend, for whatever you are most grateful for today. ie. I didn’t get killed in a car accident.

2.    Awareness: Think about your past twenty-four hours when you were and were not the best version of yourself. ie. I got grumpy because I didn’t get my way.

3.    Significant Moments: Identify something you experienced today and explore what God might be trying to say to you. ie. I stopped working for a change and went outside to enjoy the sunshine.

4.    Peace: Ask God to forgive you for any wrong you have committed (against yourself, another person, or him) and to fill you with a deep and abiding peace. ie. I could spend the whole ten minutes telling God how impatient I am but He already knows that.

5.    Freedom: Speak with God how he is inviting you to change your life, so that you can experience the freedom to be the best version of yourself. ie. I guess it’s OK to think about what God wants me to do in my next adventure.

6.    Others: Lift up to God anyone you feel called to pray for today, asking God to bless them. ie. Bless all my parishioners in church, online and Sonshine Friends and keep them healthy and safe from the virus.

7.    Finish by praying the Our Father.

Could these words change your life every day, maybe forever.

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that we learn to pray and humbly ask the Big Question: “What do you think I should do?