Sunday, June 28, 2020

I Can't Stand It No Longer



In the movie, “Steel Magnolia,” there is a memorable scene that takes place at a cemetery after the death of the mother’s daughter. The funeral service had ended and family and friends were walking back to their cars when the mother’s girlfriends noticed mom standing alone in front of her daughter’s casket. 

One by one, her four best female friends, come back to be by her side. After a long silence, one young woman shared her faith saying that while this is a terrible tragedy they should be rejoicing because she believed the daughter is with the angels in heaven. The mother looked up at her with stern eyes and said, “Well, I’m glad that you’re rejoicing, but I don’t feel joyful, I’m angry. I’m so angry and I just want to hit something.” 

Her mother-in-law, pipes up and says, “go ahead hit Louisa,” who is the cranky old neighbor. The neighbor looks at this mother-in-law and says: “who the hell are you to tell her to hit me.” The mother-in-law says, “it will be good for you, let her hit you, it might get some of that meanness out of you.”  The neighbor is outraged and stomps out of the cemetery in a huff. At that moment, all the women started to burst out laughing. Tears are in their eyes and they are hysterically laughing. Another girlfriend says, “we needed to laugh to break the hurt and sadness, it just too much.”

I believe all of us have felt just like that mom who want to scream out of anger and hit something with what has been happening these past four months. The uncertainty, the injustice, the violence, the fear of what is going to happen next.
We need good friends like this mother found in her darkest moment to give her the strength and courage to carry on. Jesus taught, “come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest.” Like these girlfriends, Jesus wants to be your companion. When we are at our wits end and ready to explode with anger and rage, Jesus says “hit me” meaning… talk to me, tell me how lonely, or desperate, or anxious, or upset you feel. Believe me, trust in me and when you let it all out, you might not laugh, but you will find calm.

Today, in your prayers, when you are in a funk and so angry and fed up with life, “hit Him,” meaning… pour out your soul and tell Jesus how you are feeling--alone, worried, confused, exhausted. “Hit Him,” pray to Jesus and let His love soothe your anger and bring you peace and calm.   

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends, Holy Family parishioners and Zoom friends that when we get hot under the collar about anything, we hit You with our anxious feelings and allow your spirit to fill us with your patience, mercy and understanding. Question. Who needs a call right now from you, so that you can let them scream, rant and rave until all their pain is empty and bathe in God’s healing grace. Call, text or zoom them right now and “be their companion.”