Saturday, March 02, 2019

A Call to Action


Last Friday, Maggie, my neighbor, called to say that her hot water tank was not working. We roll our eyes and say: “Why me, Lord… I’m too busy, better yet, I’m no plumber.” But after that initial twinge of selfishness goes away, we move on to the next phase figuring out how to help someone Jesus describes as one of His “little ones.” 

I already knew the hot water tank was on its last leg. When I had Maggie’s home remodeled last year through a grant, I asked for a replacement of the tank but the director of the program said no. 

So, who do you call? For me, it’s my Lutheran builder, whose response was “we will be at her home on Tuesday and get it replaced.” Some people are willing to help and make no excuses.

Now my style was to contact the agencies who say that they are there to help our seniors. They go by various names: Community Action, US Rural Development, Pathstone, Ministry of Concern, Catholic Charities, Office of Aging. So, I drive Maggie to the Office of Aging where we meet Jana, a case worker, who explains that one director was meeting with another director to find out who can help. As per my style, I contacted three more agencies and let them know that Maggie needed their assistance and I was ready to help her fill out their forms. One agency shared that she had used them in the past and could not come back for a second helping. How sad to think our government sets limits on people in need.

After our visit to the Office of the Aging, I took Maggie for her eye exam and treated her to lunch. She had finished her julianne salad when I looked up and to my surprise she had taken her dentures out of her mouth. A tad embarrassed, she simply smiled back.

After our shopping trip, Maggie asked me to check her bath shower because there was no hot water. I taught her to let it run awhile until the water gets hot. We adjusted her shower head so that more warm water comes out. Later that day, Jana called to report that the Ministry of Concern would donate $200 towards the tank. We need $850, so I encouraged her to contact Community Action and ask Catholic Charities to help out.

You see, God loves our stories. He planted us on His good earth to die so that we might know eternal life and flowering into maturity by surrendering ourselves completely to God's Plan.  

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that we realize that each of us has the opportunity to make a unique contribution to the fulfillment of God's Grand Design. We are challenged to make our life story a story about helping God’s little ones like Maggie. May the story you are telling God with your life be a story of the "Good Life." God loves a "Good Life" story more than you can possibly imagine!