Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Foster Dads

Some time ago, I had this problem of trying to dismantle mattress springs that were welded together with iron pipe. The frame weighed a ton and I wanted to take the frame to the recycling center, however, it would not come apart to fit in my truck. A sledgehammer would not budge the frame. God rest his soul, but Tony my 90 plus next-door neighbor came over to assess the problem. He returned from his basement with this special tool. He administered a few whacks in the right spots and the frame seemed to magically fall apart like a deck of cards.

Some men have all the rights tools. Advertisers know that men are more into their gadgets than flowers or chocolate. So Home Depot, Sears and Lowes are flooding their store shelves with every tool a man would want on their workbench. On Father’s Day, I like to offer my prayers for all the dads who have helped this “father” with their tools.

For Michael who patiently taught me the art of floral design, and Tom, who will bring a garden design to help me plant my first flower and herb garden. Then there are memories of Father Alex, who use to squeeze our thumbs and handout quarters during lunch break to all the children at St. Stanislaus. This was the same pastor who beamed with pride and stood by my side when I celebrated my First Mass at the altar.

I have been blessed with many “foster dads” in my lifetime, hard working farmers like Dick and Jim who taught me how to cultivate the land and Tom who taught me how to float and Jim for his help in surveying, and Ken for help in cutting the vines. Then there are the master craftsmen who know their trades: Rudy, Brad, and Mark who are masters in their trades and especially, Vince, the forester, who now is walking in the forests of heaven.

The blessings continue as other men have shared their spiritual gifts. I am humbled by my spiritual advisor, the professor whose faith and profound insights have fostered many reflections that show God is indeed by our side through the fears and pain of life.

My gratitude goes to Chet for his bread baking passion as I practice once a week kneading my pumpernickel recipe. There is Owen who took me under his arm decades ago and introduced me to the art of photography. It’s all about the light and not the technology, although I am grateful to Brandon, Louis, John and Glen who show me which buttons to push.

Then there is my dad who taught me that God loves all people without exceptions. A veteran with a passion to help his senior comrades and a faith that continues to inspire my ministry to bring comfort to the sick and hope to the dying.

Immanuel watches over us as we reflect: “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him.” (Jeremiah 17:7).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine “foster dads” who have blessed me with their with amazing tools and talents. May these men know in their hearts that I am forever grateful for their unselfishness and care for their family and friends. One thing I ask of all my Sonshine Friends on Father's Day and that is to pray for all our fathers whenever we think of them.