Saturday, April 16, 2011

Jelly Bean Prayer

Once upon a time, on Good Friday morning, I found a small zip-lock bag with eight jellybeans of assorted colors in my mailbox. The “Jelly Bean Prayer” was locked inside a plastic bag. There being no postage attached to the bag, a neighbor had left this Easter gift with the hope that each mouthful would be accompanied by a reflection of God’s goodness. I confess some disappointment that could my neighbor not reflect on God’s goodness with a solid chocolate Easter bunny from Andy’s Candies?

That jellybean bag was left unopened on my office desk. As I prepared to celebrate the Good Friday service, my eyes kept going back to that locked bag of colorful reminders of God’s goodness. The bag remained zipped tight; it was a strict day of fast.

On Holy Saturday, the beanbag was still sitting on my desk. Eight colorful reminders of God’s goodness zipped tight in plastic. While the morning sun poured through the window, outside sparrows were chirping anticipating the joy of the Resurrection feast, their songs as colorful as these jellybeans.

Throughout the day I was preparing for the Holy Saturday service and my Easter Sunday homily. I needed words to inspire and uplift, words to bring people out of the dark and into the light. Mostly, I thought about the many people I have counseled throughout the years and their pain and suffering. My mind was blank and my heart empty and my eyes kept focusing on that bag of jellybeans.

Then God struck with a revelation; I was no longer in darkness and needed inspiration and uplifting! That bag of candy was transformed, no longer jellybeans but it represented all the good things God has given me and my Sonshine Friends and yet to come. And here God’s gift sits on my desk, sealed, zipped tight, locked away from my experience. I could hear Him ask me, “What the matter with you Matt, do you not see?”

I looked out the open window, drawn by bird songs and sight of turkey and deer. Why would I choose to stay inside when the signs of Resurrection are outside? Why do I keep the reminders of God’s goodness so tightly shut away inside my life? I’ve been so often content with knowing that birds are singing in the glorious outside while I shut myself inside. I’ve been content with knowing that God’s good things are within my grasp –yet I leave them just beyond my reach—never actually experiencing them. It’s sometimes easier to remain in the cold, dark tomb then to come out into the sun, sensing this new life!

The very first thing I’m going to do on Easter Sunday is to pop one of those jellybeans into my mouth maybe yellow (for His sun is so bright) or pink (for a new tomorrow). And after I savor the first one, I’m going to meditate on the others as they follow the route of the first one. Then I’m going to pray for more jellybeans. To be open to the signs of God’s goodness everyday in my life.

Immanuel watches over us as we reflect: "For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.” Psalm (56:13).


Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine friends on Easter Day that they rejoice in your goodness. As we munch on our jellybeans, white for His grace, pink for a new tomorrow. may we know it WILL happen because it already DID happen. Alleluia!