Monday, February 28, 2011

Learn from the Wild Flowers

It’s Sunday morning and grandma is playing with her 5-year-old granddaughter on the living room carpet. This little one’s mom is also present listening carefully to her mother’s advice on getting the best educational resources for her daughter. It appears I am in the room of a living miracle. Our “little one” had a missing chromosome that the doctors said would result in a child who would never speak or walk. The early years of her life required feeding tubes and a host of complicated medical procedures. Yet, this morning with the love of her parents and family and a determined grandmother who never quits this child has the ability to walk, speaks and even swims like a fish. Sometimes grandmothers are God’s gift to us when our burdens seem too heavy.


God wants to help you with your burdens. Now, no doubt you know that. I know that. But last week I found myself in a situation where I was not letting God carry my burden. I had "given it to Him" with mental ascent, but actually I had taken it back right after I had given it to Him.


Does this sound familiar with you? This morning I like you to remember the words Jesus said, "Come unto me all of you who are laboring and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." (Matt. Ll: 28)


I don’t know why it is, but when faced with some heavy situations I say, "God, well you have told me to bring my burdens to you, so here they are. (And I would list 5 or 6.) Then I get up from my chair and walk to the door.....free? NO. Why because I find myself "chained to them" I have "tied them" to my very being. So, in fact, I lied to Jesus when I told him I was leaving my burdens with him. How could Jesus take care of them when I, as if it were, "pulled" them away from his loving tender strong arms?


So, I have found myself much like the farmer who was going along the country road in his buckboard when he overtook a fellow who was walking - with great difficulty - with a very heavy bundle. He asked the man if he wanted a ride and if so, hop in. The traveler got into the buckboard, sat down very tired and put his heavy bundle in his lap. "I'm caring you," said the farmer, but "you are still carrying your burden."

Jesus our burden bearer has asked us to come to him with our cares, yet we fail to do so. We suffer - spiritually, physically. Let us throw it all on Him - be free of that which plagues us with fear and torment.


Immanuel watches over us as we reflect: " Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin. But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them. If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you…” (Matthew 6:28-30).


Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that they be set free from the burdens that weigh them down. Let them give to you that which has been a concern so that they can straighten up in you...load free.