Sunday, January 16, 2011

Take a Breath

The other day, while driving on the expressway in the snow, I suddenly felt a strong pain in my abdomen like a knot. Since December 1st, we have been dumped with record amounts of snow except for one brief melt. I must have had a lot of stress that day for here I was having a painful, panic attack while driving on another miserable snowy day.

So, I started to slowly breathe. Yes, we do not breathe when we are experiencing lots of tension. We literally hold our breath. We tend to tense up inside and hold our breath when facing a situation that we feel out of control.

So like a good strudent, I tell myself, yes I also talk to myself and say to: breathe, slowly, calmly. This exercise is called the Relaxation Response and it helps to relieve the pain and fear. I’m slowly breathing in through my nose, taking a moment to hold the breath and slowly exhale like blowing a kiss. As I exhale, I might add a word or phase that helps to keep me calm, “God, give me strength.”

This anxious moment did cause me to reflect upon the Word of God which says, "Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid neither be dismayed; for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua1:6).

What does that have to do with having knots in your stomach when driving on slippery roads? If, according to the Word, a sparrow can not fall to the ground without God knowing it, then that means I have the attention of the Almighty. And driving on icy roads in which I feel that I about to lose control of the wheel is cause for me to have God’s attention.

So, if God is aware of me, then I should be of good courage. God is with you, my friend, right now - where you are. Driving to work on another snowy morning, taking your medicine for a cold, battling a life-threatening disease, or starting over again after a lost of a job or relationship.

No matter where you are, or who are you, God has assured you of His presence. It is true, no matter how high one goes in the sky, or how deep one goes in the ocean, one can't get away from God.

So be of good courage. Be not afraid of the difficulties that are in your life, or the trial through which you are going. Things might really be bad, but please acknowledge God with you. You have a friend in Him.

Immanuel watches over us as we reflect: "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. (Psalm 150:6).

Lord, I pray for all my Sunshine Friends that they be especially blessed and be given great reassurance. May they know of your concern over them. May they never be forgotton. Because if you know of the fallen sparrow, you certainly know about this special, dear one.