Sunday, January 24, 2010

Surprises from God

Would you like to open a Macy’s account today? “No, thank you,” I replied. The clerk went on to say that an additional 30% discount would be applied to my purchase. “Another time, perhaps.” Then she asked “Don’t I know you? Did you ever serve at Holy Redeemer?” No, I politely replied and noted it had been closed many years ago. “Did you serve at St. Theresa’s?” A beautiful urban-center church served by the Franciscan fathers. But again, I had not served there. Then she said: “Don’t worry, let me open the account father, it’ll only take a minute and you’ll save lots of money.”


“Did you serve at St. Stanislaus?” As she opened the new account, I shared that I had served in my home pariah. “Did you know Father Andy?” That brought back many memories for Fr. Andy came from Poland to serve in an American parish. He was the perfect match for St. Stan’s who later became their pastor and sadly died prematurely of cancer during his ministry.


Mindful of this stroll through memory lane, our sales lady is clicking my personal information into her computer to enroll me into “such-a-deal” Star Reward Program. I had only come to pick up my dress shoes that I buy on sale in January and wait till the beginning of a new school year to wear. I carry very little plastic and discount cards are not in my wallet, however, this persistent sales lady wants to surprise me with her amazing savings.


She continues to multi-task her way through her store’s discount program, then she says she knew my parents and my heart sank. Rarely, do I bump into a person who remembers mom and dad. It has been a long time since they went home to God. She knew about the old churches, the special priests, the old neighborhood and now my dear loved ones. It appeared I was getting more than a discount card, but a heart to remember in gratitude the people that God had placed in my path.


What was this lady thinking? It reflects the attitude of Jesus when his mom told him that the wedding party in Cana had run out of wine. Here, we get this homely little story about a wedding party gone bad where Jesus swoops in to save the day by providing a wine cellar’s worth of intoxicating beverages to wedding guests who already had a few under their belts.


The wedding guests enjoyed the new wine, and, in the end, they did not turn to thank the giver of this particular gift that was something Jesus as Creator had been long accustomed. From the dawn of time people had been eating the pears and sipping the cognac and swimming in the oceans and enjoying the vistas of mountain grandeur that Jesus’ creative work in the beginning made possible, but most never thanked God for those gifts. So if the people in Cana lapped up Jesus’ fine wine with nary a backward glance toward him who made the wine, Jesus probably did not notice and maybe did not care. He was used to it. But like any good host, Jesus’ joy came from knowing that others had enjoyed it.


To my surprise, the sales slip for the new shoes reflected a 50% discount! Suddenly, I realized this transaction was never about saving money, but rather, giving thanks to God for all the memories, all the people, all the choice wine and surprises that God provides and we take for granted. Needless to say, I thanked this kind lady for all her trouble despite my objections.


God prays for us as we reflect; ““From his fullness we have received one blessing after another”

(John 1:16)


Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who have been a blessing to me throughout my years of ministry. For the priests and sisters, the parishioners and neighbors, horse trainers and farmers, old friends and new “sales” people. Help us to see Your glory that shines through their generosity and make us mindful of Your surprise gifts.