Monday, October 27, 2008

The Journey Home

I still make “house calls” and on this Sunday afternoon I had been invited to the home of Norbert who quite literally is going home to God. Greeted by his beloved spouse Mary at the door, I sat next to this gentleman who spoke in a whisper about his life. He greeted me with the words: “Blessed Be the Name of the Lord.” He shared his faith, his love for his family and talked about the many journeys he had taken in his lifetime to the Vatican, Australia, England, Scotland and Ireland.

His stories reminded me of returning down the mountain in the Smokies that faithful morning when I started up the trail in pitch darkness. The trek home proved more difficult than expected. Sliding on loose shale, I came across those roots never seen on the journey in the dark. I wondered how many dangers we have escaped known only to God who watches and protects our steps from falling down a cliff.

Hikers were now coming up the trail and it was interesting to note the differences in how prepared these folks had come for their journey. Some were seasoned hikers using their ski poles to maneuver around the rocks and steep hills. Other hikers wore mini-packs that contained their feed of trail mix, water and supplies. Then came the “tourist” ill prepared for the journey ahead. These poor folks were gazing at the trail like the top was just around the corner, when in reality it would be another three hours up the mountain. Walking in sneakers, no water, no food, no poles just pulling along their children like a visit to the mall. They had no clue what difficulties lie ahead. What a contrast to the Appalachian enthusiastists who were marching along in their high tech alpine boots, lightweight walking poles, hydrator water systems and GPS. To my shock, I witnessed a person wearing sandals and shook my head thinking that this might be a good time to call the park rangers.

On the way down the trail, I spotted those streams that I heard in the darkness of the still morning. I had missed their sublime beauty and only feared falling into the drink. At the end of our life’s journey, we might regret to think of the many opportunities we missed to see the beauty of God’s creation. We have our excuses like paying the bills, working overtime. However, at the end of our life when the miserable disease takes away our independence, we make an amazing discovery. The gift of God’s love comes in our faith and it is our family’s love that provides the most hope for joy and happiness. My homebound friend Norbert came to this revelation as I anointed him with Sacrament of the Sick and gave him Holy Communion.

Sometimes the unknown sends us into a panic and we fear the worse. However, our need is to witness to hope and persevere. Despite the disease that makes us sick to our stomach and helpless, there is our guide pointing out the way in which we will not stumble nor get lost. We might have suffered much violence and pain and depression, but our guide asks us to surrender these fears and hurts and take his hand for the journey ahead that leads to eternal life.

God prays for us as we reflect:” And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.” (Isaiah 35:8).

Lord, I pray for my Sonshine Friend, Norbert, and all the Sonshine souls we will pray for this coming Sunday. Our vocation is to be a gift of Your healing love here on earth, to walk carefully, to protect, conserve and pass on the Your compassionate love for future generations.