Sunday, March 09, 2008

There's Whiskey in the Jar

I will confess that freezing ice pellets and driving on icy roads makes me scared to death. But duty calls to help at a funeral, so I am crawling at 25 over a snow covered Bay Bridge despite the SUV’s leaving me behind in their tracks. You think they take the hint and use better judgment after passing 3 SUV’s on 104 that skidded off the road into a ditch.

Somehow, I don’t care if I’m moving too slowly since the ice and blowing snow made for some nasty driving. However, once I crossed the bridge, traffic was moving slowly up a hill with their taillights on. In the distance, I could see lines of cars were keeping their distance following two huge state snowplows. One does not mess with these snow mammoths. The plows were working in tandem, one in the driving lane and the other in the passing lane with their yellow caution lights circling to warn that they got the right of way so—SLOW DOWN. The result of their “good work” was that my road to church was neatly plowed with a coating of salt despite the fact that we ALL were driving no more than 25. Listening to the radio to calm my nerves and focus on the road, WXXI was playing Irish Pub Tunes with the lyrics that sang: “Tally, tally ho…there’s whiskey in the jar.”

An hour later, I was sitting on the steps of the sanctuary at the funeral looking into the eyes of a grieving spouse and her adult daughters and son. Are we not all scared sometimes? When we are faced with the death of our husband and father we yearn for some words to take away our sorrow. Those two mammoth tow trucks with there flashing yellow caution lights are a sign to take some time to slow down and listen to the words of God. Of course, we are afraid when we find ourselves sliding all over the road. Of course, we are terrified by death and struggle with the pain of not knowing for sure what happens to our body and soul. Our hands on the wheel of life throb from holding on too tight. Of course, we do not want to let go of the memories, the warm hands, the gentle smile and laughter that brought joy a to our hearts.

Imagine Jesus sitting in the cab of that snowplow, telling us: “Do not be afraid.” I got the road covered, my blade of truth will set you free from all your doubts, despite all your foolish fears about the devil or your unworthiness or whatever else you think can keep you out of Paradise.

Once again, I remembered that Irish Pub Tune that was playing along the treacherous road. Did you not hear the words of the song? “Do not stand at my grave and weep, I am not there... I do not sleep. I am the thousand winds that blow...I am the diamond glints on snow...I am the soft star that shines at night. Do not stand at my grave and cry—I am not there... I did not die...”

God prays for us as we reflect: "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who continue to shed tears of sorrow for family and friends. Give us the courage to surrender our doubts and cradle our fear into your merciful arms. May we raise our glass and toast all the saints with St. Patty who leads our family and friends into eternal glory with one voice: “Tally, tally ho.. There’s whiskey in the jar.”