Saturday, February 16, 2008

It's Gonna Work Out

There are many different kinds of fear. There is the fear you feel when you tap on the brakes and the car starts to spin. There is the fear that comes when we hear that our company is downsizing, and we may be out of a job.

There is the fear that comes when we haven’t heard the diagnosis yet, but we’re pretty sure it’s bad. There is the fear of failure: failure in school, failure in our job, and failure at life itself.

Think about all the different kinds of fear there are, some that I listed, but even more that I left out. Isn’t it true that most of these fears come when we suddenly realize we’re not in control?

Once upon a time, a humble king took his three buddies up a mountain to show them something special. Of course, these tough guys were true to form—they bragged and postured and acted nonchalant so others would think they were in control. This is what Peter was doing. However, he was in a scary situation—an ordinary fisherman seeing a blinding vision, a practical man having an experience he can’t explain. So Peter’s scared, and he starts to babble. This time he gets bawled out, and it’s by a voice from a cloud. Now he’s not just scared, he’s terrified! His legs can’t hold him up. He falls on the ground, and so do James and John.

At this moment, I like to think that Jesus touches each of them. I sort of imagine him reaching out and ruffling their hair. The kind of touch that says, “We’re all in this together, I value you, I care for you, and it’s gonna work out.” And he says, “Stand up and do not be afraid”!

Something within them changes. I think it’s the touch of Jesus. Maybe not a physical touch, but some kind of internal touch, some kind of spiritual touch. They learn not to be afraid.

Not that the uncertainty of life goes away. It doesn’t. Not that they suddenly gain control. They don’t. Not that they are suddenly masters of their own fate. They clearly are not. But somehow it doesn’t matter. Bad things continue to happen to good people. But somehow it doesn’t matter.

The beginning of fear is when we realize, I’ve lost control. The beginning of faith is when we realize, it doesn’t matter. I don’t really need to be in control. All I really need is the awareness that God is in control.

God prays for us as we reflect: “In God I trust; I will not be afraid.” Psalm 56:11.

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that we could each be transformed from our need for control. Wouldn’t it be great to learn to overcome our fears? Wouldn’t it be great to be able to say, “Bad things will still happen, but they don’t matter. I don’t have to be in control, if I can trust God to be in control”?