Saturday, January 26, 2008

Dancing With God

There is a story a longtime Sonshine Friend emailed to me last week about meditating on the word “guidance.” In his mind’s eye, he kept seeing “dance” at the end of the word.

I believe that doing God's will is a lot like dancing. 
 When two people try to lead, nothing feels right. 
The movement doesn't flow with the music and everything is quite uncomfortable and awkward. However, when one person realizes that, and lets the other lead, both bodies begin to flow with the music. One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge to the back or by pressing lightly in one direction or another. 
It's as if two become one body, moving beautifully with the music.

The dance takes surrender and a willingness to let the other lead. It requires each person to be mindful to the movement of one another. It needs gentle guidance and skill from the other. So my friend’s eyes and soul drew back to the word “guidance.”

When he saw the "G": he thought of God, followed by "u" and "I". This led to the revelation that "God, you, and I dance.” As he bowed his head in prayer, he became willing to trust in the silence that would lead to the guidance he was seeking about his life.

Using our imagination, it seems if we become willing to let God lead us in the “dance of life” our souls will find peace and harmony.

God dances with us as we pray: “Then maidens will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.” (Jeremiah 31:13).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that they learn the steps to dance closer to You. May we allow God to take us by the hand, and wrap a gentle arm around our back to lead and guide us during this season of Lent. And I Hope You Dance!