Sunday, December 16, 2007

Ice Your Pain

Ironic that after a stellar annual physical, two hours later, I fall on a patch of ice on my back and I am in pain! What a way to start the week before Christmas? Thank God that He is in our "pain" of living. Everyday I listen to the pain of people buried with fears of losing a job, a spouse, or health. And, who likes pain? Not this priest especially when the pull rope on the snow blower refused to start the motor and my back is screaming in pain. This is the kind of pain that drops you to your knees. I literally felt like the words in Psalm: 38:7: “My back is filled with searing pain; there is no health in my body.”

However suffering and pain needs to be addressed in our lives. O Come, O Come Emmanuel means “God is with us in us—especially when we are “in pain.” I believe God has some lesson and opportunity for us in pain. But, does it have to come during a snowstorm? Come on Lord, what is the mystery to pain? James states it this way in 5:11: “As you know we consider blessed those who have preserved. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about… The Lord is full of compassion and mercy."

When I try to deal with the mystery of suffering and pain my thoughts turn to the homebound who have no more strength to fight the system. I think of a Sonshine Friend whose home care and nursing services have put her health at risk. Sometimes due to our pain, we no longer have the strength to want to go on. We feel alone in our pain. However, I tried to remind her on a snowy Sunday afternoon that she has the dignity of her soul and her faith and to keep on praying.

It is interesting that the treatment for pain recommended after the fall is ice and later warmth to help in the healing process. Sometimes when our prayers are not answered we think that God has the heart of ice. It is our perseverance that will lead to the warmth of God’s comfort.

Keep in mind that our pain is not meaningless. We pray for a cure or at least some relief but it seems God has not answered our prayer. The things we count as refusals are simply delays, which we can't understand in the natural. In pain, which I feel, I lift my eyes to my Redeemer. It need not be meaningless. I ask God to remove the pain; if not I ask God to reveal his lessons and truths through it. There are those watching my reaction and response.

God pray for us as we reflect: “I am in pain and distress; may your salvation, O God, protect me.” (Psalm 69:29).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine friends who are indeed in pain - physically - or in a situation that is "painful." I ask that you give them relief and when on their knees you bless them with strength and grace to endure for the Kingdom.