Sunday, November 18, 2007

Paving the Road to Thanksgiving

This weekend, I received a letter from my doctor confirming my annual physical exam in December. The letter detailed the lab work that needs to be done prior to the visit. When I turned the page, there were eight boxes checked for lab tests. I thought that enough blood would be taken to satisfy a vampire, until the letter stated, “there is a possibility that additional blood work may be requested after your exam.” God help me!

If I wasn’t feeling run down by the approach of another holiday season, this letter set me up for more moaning and complaining. No doubt, we are already annoyed by marketing that began in September to “shop till we drop” which “zaps” our bodies resistance and makes us prone to colds and viruses. However, as we prepare to travel to sit at table with our family and friends on Thanksgiving Day, let me offer this prescription to health.

A holy monk gave this teaching to visitors at the monastery. He encouraged the people to practice gratefulness as a spiritual exercise that transforms a person who is given to moping and complaining to a person radiant with joy.

The visitors were advised to start each day by writing out a list of things they were grateful for. They were encouraged to keep a notepad by their bed, and each day before beginning their morning meditation, they take a few minutes to make a list of 7-8 items that they are grateful for that day.

I can’t begin to describe how powerful this simple exercise has been in my life in promoting healing at the level of mind, body and spirit. By starting each day with my gratitude list, I consciously shift my attention to the many blessings in life. This is light years away from my previous pattern of starting off too many days bemoaning the “insurmountable obstacles that I believed (inaccurately) lied ahead of me. What a difference this awareness makes!

In short, I am thoroughly convinced that gratitude – which I define as a sincere sense of appreciation for God’s presence in the form of the many blessings in our lives. For example, the doctor who doesn’t need my blood but he wants to make sure that all my “bodily systems” are running well. Gratitude paves the way for the healing and positive outcomes that we are seeking.

If you are struggling with any form of crisis in your life, I would urge you to set aside a few minutes each morning to compose your own daily gratitude list. If your experience is anything like mine, you will find that the results arte nothing short of miraculous.

God prays for us as we reflect: "You changed my mourning into dancing and clothed me with gladness. With my whole being I sing endless praise to you. O Lord, my God, forever I will give you thanks forever.” (Psalm 30: 12-13).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends whose presence in my life I am most humbly grateful. May their spiritual journey be paved with many signs of your holy presence and blessings in their life. May I suggest that at your Thanksgiving table, each person take a moment to express gratitude to God for their precious children, grandchildren, and all relatives and friends and truly give thanks.