Sunday, September 16, 2012

The First Children's Homily

 
I imagine Jesus taking a deep breath, sighing and with a somewhat forced smile, saying, "Come here y’all, sit down, let's talk. Let me see if I can find a better way to explain this to you."

He proceeded to talk about how whoever wants to be first must be last and a servant of everyone. Then, he invented the children's sermon, complete with an actual child as the object in the object lesson. Jesus reached into the crowd and pulled a child, probably a toddler, into the room. Then he said,  “Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me, but the one who sent me.”

One of the joys I miss in ministry is taking “Spinach” into the classroom or church on First Friday’s and presenting a “children’s homily.” Spinach is a puppet I received from a teacher to help me share stories about God’s love for his children. A green, odd-looking creature with big loving eyes, the kids “did get it” for they would cheer whenever I brought Spinach along to teach them about Jesus. These kids have grown up with children of their own, but I am amazed when they ask: “Where’s Spinach?”

It is interesting to note that the Greek words for child and servant have the same root and that Jesus used both of these images; child and servant, as symbols of who the messiah is and who we, the followers of Jesus, are called to be in the world. Children and servants, powerless and defenseless ones, that's us.

The essence of Spinach was a humble spirit, voiceless, yet full of love for Jesus. He welcomed all the children and made every child feel great because he taught that everybody can be great because everybody can serve.

God is walking with us this morning when we pray: “The Lord will rescue his servants, no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.” (Psalm 34:22).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that they seek your call to be servants of one another, loving each other in the name of the one who first loved us.