Sunday, June 09, 2019

Fireworks for Holy Communion



Sitting at the end of the pew are six little people who in a few moments will be receiving their First Holy Communion. Beside them are their proud parents and family. So, I pull up my “preaching stool” and tell them a story.

Once upon a time, my dad announced that we were going to see fireworks. We would pack our blankets and cooler with food and head for the beach. On our way, I noticed that there was a man with a cart who was selling creamsicles. I love creamsicles, especially the orange ones,
I ask my dad if I could have a creamsicle. He said we’ve got plenty of food in the cooler. So, what could I do?  We unrolled our blanket, took out our food and began to eat. As we were eating, I saw that my friend Sammy was sitting with his family a little up the beach. Dad, can I please go and watch the fireworks with Sammy and his family? I worn him down until so he said, go and as soon as the fireworks are done, you come right back here. Understood? Promise? Yes, I promised.

So, I started going but I had an idea! Instead of going straight to Sammy’s family, what if I just went a little bit out of my way to that creamsicle man? Of course, doing that would be disobeying my dad, but I really wanted to taste a creamsicle. I made sure I knew where we were sitting, next to a life guard station with a big red sign on it. So, I started down the beach looking for the creamlike man. However, when I came to the place where I had last seen him, he was not there. He must have moved, so I went a bit further, and then a little bit further and then the fireworks started. Then I realized I better get back to my family.

So, I looked for the lifeguard station but when I got there, it wasn’t the right life guard station. It didn’t have a red sign on it. It was then that I realized that I was lost. I began to wonder whether I would ever find my family again? Would they leave and go back home without me? What could I do? I decided to pray.
“Jesus, I know it wasn’t the smartest idea to go after that creamsicle, but I really need your help. I can’t find my family and if you could lead me back, I promise I will never disobey my mother or father again. I will never tell a lie again. Amen.”

I was desperate and began to cry. After a few moments I looked up to see a police officer. I told him that I was lost and couldn’t find my family. The policeman asked, Do you have any idea where they are?  I said, they’re next to a big lifeguard station with a red sign on it. He said, I know right where that is.

We walked together for a very long time and I saw my family sitting on our blanket and watching the fireworks. They were just coming to an end. I thanked the policeman and ran towards my family. My dad saw me coming. Matty, you’re back right on time just as you promised. Good work. How was Sammy? Then I realized that my dad didn’t even know anything had happened. He thought I was with Sammy’s family the whole time. This was good, I thought. All I would have to do was say, “oh, they’re fine” and I could get out of this mess. But then I remembered the prayer that I made and the promise to tell the truth. Dad, I didn’t go to see Sammy. I went to buy a creamsicle and I got lost and a policeman found me.

Matty, I’m very disappointed in you. Then there was a pause and then dad said, But, you told me the truth, even though you could have gotten away with a lie, right?

Well, that makes me proud and don’t ever do that again. So, we packed up our stuff and just as we were leaving the beach, who did we run into but the creamsicle man! My dad stopped and looked at me, Hey, Matty, how about a creamsicle?

Jesus disciples learned the same thing that I learned when I was at the fireworks—that even when you’re lost, even when you make bad decisions, Jesus still loves you and comes to find you. This is what I told our little folks making their First Communion. You belong to Jesus. He loves you deeply. You are invited to come to His table and share in His very life. Never forget His love for you.

Then I looked at all the grownups in church and said. No matter how lost you feel, no matter how many bad decisions you may have made, you too belong to the family of God. Jesus will reach out with His hand to save you from the messes of your life.

When you come up with your child and put your hand on their shoulder as they receive Holy Communion for the first time, remember that Jesus is with you at your side and He will never stop loving your family.

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends, bless our children and their parents with your spirit that brings happiness, understanding and joy.