Sunday, June 30, 2019

Clothes Shopping with Your Spouse


The last time my spouse went shopping for clothes was in Walmart a few years ago to pick out something to wear while gardening. She said, you got to be in the right mood before you start looking for jeans, khakis, intimates, or blouses.

When you took your vows and said “for better or for worse” most men would agree that shopping with their partner is “the worse.” Actually. my partner would agree when after two hours walking between Penny’s and Macy’s she stated that she would “rather clean kitty litters all day” then shop for clothes.

I never mind tagging behind her in the store while she browses and engages her basic hunter gatherer instinct. However, my memories take me back when my dear mom, now shopping in heaven, would ask me to take her to Montgomery Ward or “Wards” to help her buy clothes. That was her favorite store because it had the best selection in her sizes. Actually, she wanted my opinion about color and fit. So once again, while I am standing around the women’s section waiting for my soul mate, I get a text to wait outside the fitting room near the swim suits. What’s up? She wants my opinion about color, style and fit. I am now enlisted as the personal clothing consultant. I wonder if Jesus ever took his Mother Mary to the local clothing shop and helped her pick out her wardrobe.

Despite exhaustion and perspiration, my partner found a few items that fit and met her specs. Better yet, after a quick lunch and back in another store she spotted a blouse and asked me “what do you think?’ With a smile, I offered my feedback that it was not too snug and the style would go with a casual look to enjoy at an evening outdoor concert.

On this shopping expedition, I received a “Godwink” from a kind customer service rep. I told my spouse to continue her hunter gatherer adventure while I paid for her selections. While cashing out, the kind lady clerk said “you are very thoughtful helping to find her clothes.” I told this kind lady that it was fun for me while knowing that for my partner it was sheer torture.

For some people, shopping does not get high marks for fun thing to do on a Saturday afternoon. Shopping can be looked upon as a boring chore that a few men endure, the other 80% just won’t come along for the ride. Or, you can interpret this time together as a lesson in patience and generosity. I might add gratitude to spend some quality time with your spouse to help her feel comfortable and look her best. 

I like this take-home thought. When something hasn’t turned out well, don’t give up; keep going, and try different ways of making it work. There is no fixed answer, no single solution. We find the best approach through trial and error.

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who are facing some difficulties that they prefer to avoid. Shopping is not the worse task in the world, but it goes a lot easier with someone holding your clothes, giving you a thumbs up and using their credit card to purchase all your stuff. Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.