Sunday, December 18, 2016

When Your Furnace Is Red Tagged Before Christmas

-->

The director of the county program to help the poor shared that my next-door neighbor had received prior funding six years ago and no longer eligible for future funding. The only problem was that a recent onsite visit suggested that her furnace might be leaking carbon monoxide. So he hands me a free carbon monoxide detector to give to the senior neighbor. Is that it I ask?

Well you could have someone run a test and if the furnace is defective, there might be some special funding available to replace the heating system. I “cold called” a local heating contractor who was generous enough to make a house call. He called back later that day to confirm my worse fears that there were several leaks.

Our neighbor left her home to stay with her sister and Susie is caring for her ten kitties. The director contacted two vendors who came to evaluate and bid on the project. I’m feeling terrible, our senior lady has to evacuate her home, her cats are lonely and cold and I have no idea what special funds will cover the costs of this project. I’m praying for a miracle!

Twenty-four hours goes by and no word, from vendor, contractor or director. I learned that one contractor bowed out of the bidding and the other contractor was busy with other work. But on Friday morning, the director said: “I have awarded the contract, however, we like to make a few changes from oil to propane.” Once again, I’m on the phone begging for favors from a propane dealer and at the end of the week we are a go to begin replacement this morning.

Christmas means living a life that allows your needs, and your desires, and your talents to all live in harmony. Where you spend your days doing the things that we have a God-given talent for. We are filled with a passion for life. I like to call that, “living in the zone.” The zone that God intends you to be in.

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that they are living in the zone God want you to be. God wants you to be alive and thriving, and joyful and happy. A blessed Christmas to you and all your loved ones.

One more note, in feeding and watering the kitties, we found that this senior’s kitchen sink drains into a bucket, the plumbing underneath is shot! This morning I’m working on another grant. Again, I have no guarantees and ask for your prayers.