Sunday, February 07, 2016

You Gotta Go Deeper


On retreat last week, I discovered that the secret of making bread is using live yeast. To my surprise and delight, I have found a new mentor in baking. Bob graduated 40 years ago from the Culinary Institute of America and he offered to teach me his secrets. I told him that my bread comes out like a brick. He laughed and shared that yeast is a live bacteria and you have to be careful not to kill the yeast. When I explained how I was using the yeast, he quickly shared that it might just be bad yeast or that I had killed the yeast in the preparation. My mentor advised that you add the sugar and whip till frothy. Then you knead the flour and yeast either by hand or with a machine. Once the consistency is right, you place it in a draft free area and cover with a towel. Either the plastic wrap killed my yeast, or, I didn’t wait long enough for the yeast to do its job. My first lesson is to be more patient and wait.

So the secret for great tasting bread is the right ingredients, patience and technique. There’s a gospel story about the disciples having a bad fishing day. All nightlong and they caught nothing. So the advice from Jesus their mentor was to go out into the water again but go deeper.

When you want to pursue a goal, make an improvement in yourself or enhance the quality of some group you belong too, you gotta make an extra effort. That is true in academics, sports, farming, or bread baking and also our faith. To be closer to God, you gotta go deeper.

Simon was reluctant to go deeper at first because he was tired from working all day. He was exhausted from his labor. Just about everyone I know is tired after working all day. It’s not easy to come home and face the domestic chores of running a household or attending to the needs of children after a hard day’s work. It’s not easy to take a class a night or attend a meeting. We have to reach deep within ourselves to find that energy to go the extra mile.

Where do we find the energy to complete those tasks that are necessary for us to realize our goals? What did Simon do? First, he moved his boat into deeper waters. He had to go into territory he had never been. Secondly, he put his freshly cleaned nets back into the water. And third, he believed in Jesus’ words. “If you say so, I will let down my nets.” Since Jesus said it was what he needed to do, Simon did it. He whined a little at first, complaining of his hard day’s work, but in the end he trusted Jesus’ words.

 
Everyone complains now and then about the demands of life. I believe God hears our complaints. Jesus knew Simon had worked hard “all night long” but he also knew he could do more. Within all of us there is unrealized potential and God wants us to be fulfilled.

Sometimes we do leave our comfort zones and try new things, but do we really believe that amazing things can happen? Simon acted sincerely but deep down he was skeptical. But Jesus responded in love. Instead of saying, “I told you so” or “Why don’t you believe me,” he encouraged him and told him that in the future he would be catching people. He gave Simon encouragement and hope. Once again we hear those comforting words, “Do not be afraid.” When we go deep, God is with us. Even when we have doubts, God is with us.

The Lord watches over us as we pray: “Anyone who tills the land will have plenty of bread, but one who follows worthless pursuits will have plenty of poverty.” Psalm 28:19

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends as we prepare for the Lenten Season. Inspire us with your wisdom to go deeper and trust in your words to find our purpose in this life. Note, I had to throw out another batch of flour because it did not rise. Back to the breadboard and keep on kneading.