Sunday, February 16, 2014

It's All About the Shadows



Another day of winter, but worse, another day without the sun. Camera in hand, I’m prodding along in a foot of snow looking for something interesting to shoot. The sun is hidden behind more gray clouds. For a brief moment, the sun peaks out behind the clouds and an amazing thing happens. The shadows begin to dance in the forest.

The sun stays hidden and my toes are getting frostbitten, but I’m looking up into the sky to see if there’s any break in the clouds. The need is for patience, but freezing in the cold and exhausted from walking the trails, I can’t wait to get back indoors. I see another opportunity when the sun will break through the clouds and shine on the snow, but it will last only a few seconds.

We are an impatient people, and I am guilty of moving too fast and not being in the moment. So, I stop for a second and say to myself, I came out here two hours ago to take photos of deer in the snowy woods, but they are hiding. So my next best shot will be the shadows when the sun peaks through. I need to be more patient, look into the sky and notice a patch of blue approaching, I can walk back to a sweet spot in the woods where some nice shadows will appear. I’m breaking through the ice, falling on the slippery hill, but manage to get back to the spot when the sun reappears and I’m ready to focus in on the “dancing shadows.”

It’s not museum quality, but it turns out to be a stunning image of trees dressed in their finest white tails, with the sun piercing down on the forest floor to create a beautiful array of shadows dancing in the trees.

Maybe, it’s only my imagination, or I’m just exhausted from walking in the snow drifts, but I believe we all need a “sacred space” to get away from this noisy world and winter storms to find a place where God invites us to be at peace in our hearts and soul.

God invites us to listen to his words and what do you hear? “O send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling. (Psalm 43:3).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who are feeling exhausted from all the winter storms. Global warming means more severe weather and more storms in life. Protect us from harm and keep our families safe and may we find rest in your gentle light and hidden among the shadows.