Saturday, January 11, 2014

Ice Castle




-->
This past week, despite another brutal winter storm, I received two requests to write letters of reference for people to serve as sponsors for a baptism. Not always required, but some priests like reassurance that the baptism sponsor understands their role is to model Christ in their own life. I wonder, who was Jesus’ sponsor when John baptized him in the Jordon?

There is a story that in some of the old castles in Europe, there are found deep wells to supply the castle with water in times of a siege. A water supply that would bring water from an outside source would be at the danger of the enemy. So while people inside were protected from the enemy their necessity of water was provided for in a "safe" manner. This put their minds at ease. Imagine if someone had to go out and get water then they would have to place their own lives in danger.

Sometimes, we are much like the castle, in that if we depend on "outside sources" for help we might find that the enemy has cut our help off. That is why, like the castle, we need an inner supply of strength. In times of trouble, difficulties, events that would make us discouraged, our help must be in the peace that only Jesus can give.

However, we are tempted to "try and do it myself".... like reach out instead of reaching "in" Now, don't get me wrong, it is often important to reach out, but not at the expense of reaching "in". Jesus, according to His own lips, is the water of life, but He is even more. He said, "My peace I give you, not as the world gives, but as I give." (John 14:27) And how we need that when the world is attaching our castle.

Peek inside this ice castle that I took on New Year’s Eve and see if in a quiet moment you can invite Jesus into your heart to help you with something that is making a mess out of your life. Let his words of peace inspire you with his wisdom and reassurance.

Let your heart pray these verses: He reached down from on high, he took me; he drew me out of mighty waters. (Psalm 18:16).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that the peace of the Lord be ever so powerful to you. May the grace of faith flow like water and fill your life with gentle peace and love.