Monday, January 02, 2012

Rainbow on New Year's Day

I am driving to get gas for the tractor before the snowstorm when the cell phone rings to inform me to look north. Over my left shoulder is the most perfect rainbow that frames all the plowed fields in the most stunning image you can imagine. I say imagine because my camera was in the closet at home and not at my side.

Sometimes that’s where we tend to put God. In the closet and not at our side. We drive along life with all our fears and hurts. We wonder if we are doing the right things in life. Are we caring for our loved ones enough? Am I working at the right job? Do I take good care of ourselves or do we neglect to exercise and eat the healthy greens.

Over time, the hurts begin to accumulate that we no longer are ourselves. Instead of kindness and patience, we find ourselves irritable and full of venom. We are no longer pleasant to ourselves because we have experienced so much rejection. Jesus farewell gift to his disciples and ourselves was a “shalom.” This is not a peace that eliminates frustrations or disappointments. Rather imagine a quiet peace that reminds us that we a never alone in our tears and God is at our side to guide us with his wisdom and courage.

Rainbows were a sign from heaven that we are never alone and that we are never in control of our destiny. Rather, we are on a path guided by a wonderful God who has sent his Son into the world to show us how to live a life filled with grace and wonder. Let this rainbow experience help us to meditate and relax that we are in the hands of a compassionate God who wishes no harm on all his creation.

Immanuel watches over us as we reflect: “I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.” (Genesis 9:13).


Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who need a rainbow in their life to remind them that You are faithful to your promise to watch over us and guide us in our everyday life. Help us to be aware of your loving presence and we give you thanks.