Sunday, June 27, 2021

You got to have the tools


 

So, you might wonder what does a retired priest do in his spare time. Today’s photo gives you a glimpse of what I have been working on for the past 11 years.

 

I am blessed to serve as caregiver of an amazing piece of heaven that we refer to as “Reviresco.” In Latin, the word means “to be green again.” So, this weekend, I spread wildflower seeds over two berms that had been overrun with weeds in the hope of restoring beauty to the hills and inviting monarch butterflies to taste its sweet nectar. My hope is to stop mowing grass and create meadow grasses throughout the property.

 

We have designed and cleared many trails to walk and enjoy the beauty, but throughout the seasons large tree branches will fall and block the trails. The chainsaw you see in the gator comes in handy, but I have been warned by my soulmate to be very careful. Thanks to a good friend, the chains are sharpened and he has taught this amateur forester how to girdle the trees and clean up the forest so that the next generation of woods will grow healthy and add to the beauty of the forest.

 

What else do you see in the gator?  Yes, we have a gator but not for fun, although you are most welcomed to come and visit. I would gladly give you a “Disney” ride through the forest where you mostly will see deer, fawns, rabbits, chipmunks, racoons, hawks, a great heron and if you’re really lucky an owl flying through the trees.

 

The tree loppers and metal clippers have cut down 10,000 grapevines, barbed wire fence that bordered the land has been torn down, an invasive plant known as honeysuckle continues to be one of my daily chores since they number in the thousands, and we have cleared and carted away over 13, 000 pounds of metal and debris to the local scrap metal yard. However, there is more debris buried underneath the soil since this was a common practice for farmers in past decades to put their trash in some corner of their land. For now, the boxes of trash bags and colored tape are used to marked the areas for safety as we continue to collect more debris as it comes to the surface. 

 

Now imagine, if Jesus had a gator, what tools do you think He would bring to clear the land to make way for the Kingdom of Heaven on earth. Simply put, the Lord’s gator would run on “unconditional love.” His would carry loads compassion and mercy and coping with the messes we often make in our ordinary lives lots of patience and understanding.  It can be really hard to accept that we are loved unconditionally; often our experience is limited and cut by lack of love. My arms and legs often get cut up by the thorns from the honey locust, and I can imagine that Jesus gets cut by the hurt we cause through our indifference and intolerance.

 

No doubt, Jesus is hopeful that His crop of humanity will grow and flourish. He provides the rain and sunshine and simply asks for our faith so that He can shower us with joy. Yes, our God does want us to be happy and at peace. You are forgiven and loved beyond belief. Let that sink in.

 

Now I have a favor to ask you my Sonshine Friends. My hope for Reviresco is that before I die, I will find an educational institution that will maintain the beauty of this forest and streams and use to teach future generations how to conserve and preserve the beauty of the land. To date, no success, but if you have any contacts, let me know. Have them email me at: drmattkawiak@gmail.com

 

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that that we are forgiven and love beyond belief. Let that sink in!