Sunday, September 15, 2019

The Miracle in North Java



Let me share a little miracle I witnessed today. No, it’s not the Buffalo Bills going 2 and 0 this week. Rather, a Catholic parish gathered for their annual outdoor picnic. I brought my collection of stuffed animals and discovered that one was missing.

I asked the kids to help me find “Spinach.” This hand puppet has been teaching about Jesus for over 40 years and sure enough a grownup finds him hiding in the pavilion rafters. Even though I have a very large collection, every one of them is very important to me and I would be very upset if one of them was lost.

That reminded me of a lesson that Jesus taught to a group of religious leaders one day. The religious leaders were very upset that Jesus was often seen associating with sinners. He was even sometimes seen eating with them. The religious leaders didn't like that at all and were very critical of Jesus. Jesus told them a story to help them to understand.

"Suppose one of you had a hundred sheep and you lost one of them," Jesus said. "Wouldn't you leave the ninety-nine who were safe, and go and search for the lost sheep? And when you found the lost sheep, wouldn't you joyfully put it on your shoulders and carry it back home? Wouldn't you be so happy that you would tell all of your friends about finding the lost sheep?" I imagine that all of the religious leaders had to agree that they would do just as Jesus had suggested. Then Jesus said to them in the same way, there is more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."

The Bible teaches us that we are like sheep and sometimes stray away from God. I told the kids that “Arthur’ my pet kitty was hitting “Daisy” on the head with his paws. That’s like being a bully to your brothers and sisters and that makes God very sad, but he never gives up on us. Now here’s where I get to “hook” mom and dad and their neighbors into this wonderful story.

Jesus wanted us to know that God cares for us as people, and He will not let us wander and stray away. Sometimes we might do things that simply are not our best, like gossip or criticize our neighbor. Sometimes we make mistakes, or even turn our backs on God and His love. But He will “never leave us.” Nothing we can do will ever separate us from God’s love, and He’s always waiting with open arms to welcome us back into His family, if we should walk away. In fact, God loves us so much that, even though we do selfish things, He sent Jesus who gave His life for us! He didn’t just come for good people, but for all people. That is something to be thankful for.

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who might think that God doesn’t listen to their prayers or gave up on them a long time ago. Like a Good Shepherd, Jesus is searching for you because he made you very special and He will help you if you ask.

By the way, the miracle I witnessed was the photo you are looking at top of this reflection. It shows all the young couples and their children of Holy Family. God’s love is contagious and these parents like to invite you to join our youthful and growing church family. Bring the kids!