Monday, October 10, 2016

Gratitude, Grit or Grouch

 

I am grateful to the volunteers who worked last Saturday to wash the walls of the rectory to get ready for our future tenants.

Jim shouting let’s get this show on the road, Shirley wiping each venetian blind, Judy and Linda scrubbing the dining room, Steve taking out the broken furniture on the tractor to the dumpster, Roy sledge hammering the contents to fit, Ron helping me scrap off the rubber backing on the porch floor and moving furniture downstairs; Tina wiping the walls, floors and refrigerator, Karen cleaning kitchen cabinets, Sue scrubbing the laundry room, Jean working in the front pallor, Donna cleaning the sinks, Corey washing upstairs bedrooms, Tom putting up the ceiling tiles, Bob bringing in the supplies,  Mary bringing the pizza and wings and getting on her hands and knees in the kitchen.

You could tell we were good Catholics, everyone was on their knees, cleaning the grit. This shepherd was humbled and grateful for a job done with such grace and grit. The rectory now smells like pine sol. There was a moment when I spotted the guys chewing the fat by the garage door while all our ladies were inside scrubbing the walls, so I shouted out the window ”break time over guys lets get back to work.” Moments later they all scattered back to work.

Last Sunday, Jesus cured some lepers and only one came back to say thanks. The lesson teaches us to get moving in gratitude for the love God gives us daily. So cleaning a rectory, making baskets for the Spaghetti Dinner, teaching about God’s love to our kids, decorating the altar, or singing our lungs out in praise of God is our thanks. God wants a personal relationship with each of us. In return, we come each Sunday to thank God for the opportunities He has given us, our life, our families, our farms, our faith, this church.

One last note, before I left the rectory I was given a mission by the scrubbing team. Might I hussle the local furniture store down the road for some free carpeting to put on the floor and maybe even a donation to the Spaghetti Dinner. My new job description includes: "professional beggar." So on my way home, I stopped at Harding Furniture Store and talked to the owner. Without hesitation, he searched for the carpet and wrote out a voucher to be raffled at the church dinner. Then he said this, “I know who you are, and you are doing a wonderful job with that church in North Java.” So I told him: "Many thanks for his donations and most important his compliment of the people of the parish."

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that they take two minutes each day and think of something to be grateful to our God. Over time, this spiritual exercise will help us all to be a people of grit, grace and gratitude.