Sunday, March 22, 2015

Passion



Sometimes Jesus says something that might baffle us. For example, “anyone who loves his life will lose it; to gain your life, you have to be like a grain of wheat which brings forth much fruit only by falling into the earth and dying.”

In other words, if we should like to see Jesus, we need to look for the fallen grains of wheat around us, the sick and impoverished, the abused and oppressed. Last week, I gave a talk about balancing work and personal life and when I sat down after the presentation, the man next to me said, “you area hard act to follow.” My response was, “you will do great.”

This is a father’s story about how he transformed the darkness moment of a parent’s life into the life of Easter

On January 17, 2009, we received the worse phone call that every parent is afraid of. I never imagined losing my child to carbon monoxide poisoning. There is no worse feeling than losing your child and feeling completely lost and not knowing what to do or even wonder if your own life is worth living anymore. I made the worse decision a parent could make by taking my daughter there that night and now that will forever haunt me.
Shortly after Amanda died I received a phone call from Amanda’s school and that phone call changed everything for me that day. Amanda’s principal had told me a story about one of the teachers whose daughter wanted her friends to sleep over and she told her only if your father goes out and buys a CO detector which he did that night. Three hours later the CD detector went off and the fire department was dispatched to their home and had found high levels of carbon monoxide in their house. So the next day she called me to thank me for saving her family’s life I knew that is what Amanda wanted me to do so I made a promise to Amanda that we would never let another child die from this silent killer.
Since that day I realized that Amanda didn’t die for nothing. Her death was going to save lives all around the world. First thing I did that day was call my assemblyman Mark Schroder and said we need a law to require all homes to have a CO detector and with lots of hard work we had Amanda’s law passed in record time.
As we were working on the law we decided that we would pass out some CO detectors to the community so I contacted Home Depot and asked them if we could pass out some CO detectors at their store and they loved the idea so we told them we will pay for how many we hand out Well much to our surprise and to our bank account 800 people showed up and we made sure everyone got one that day.
At that point we knew we had to start the Amanda Hansen foundation to help raise money to purchase the CO detectors. Once we started the foundation the first thing e did was start the Amanda Hansen scholarship fund where we award $1,000 every year to a deserving girl on the West Seneca swim team that Amanda was so proud to be a part of. After that, we started getting phone calls to do different events and talk to different groups about the dangers of carbon monoxide and pass out more CO detectors.
After the first year, our foundation was growing so fast and we were amazed art how much impact we had already made in their community. Soon we were getting phone calls and emails from all over the country thanking us for saving their family’s lives. But at that point I didn’t feel like I made an impact until I received a phone call from the British government asking us to come to the UK and help bring Amanda’s law to them. So Kim and I took our campaign over there. The whole trip was amazing and fulfilling. We started in London and Wales and then Scotland. Not too long after we came home we were gratified that Amanda’s law was enacted in London and Scotland.
Since that trip our foundation has not stopped moving forward. We now work with many agencies to help spread the word about the dangers of this silent killer. So far we have passed out over 17,000 CO detectors to the public. We have purchased and donated 4 CO pulse omter to local fire departments at cost of $4,000 each. And this year alone we donated over 22 furnaces to those in need. We helped get Amanda’s law in California and now my biggest task is to make Amanda’s law a federal law and keep her name alive.
With running the foundation comes very little sleep especially when it involves your own child. I spend many sleepless nights trying to figure out my next move. Many of times I sit back and feel I have gotten nothing done and am I failing my daughter again. And yet everyone tells me different. But in running a foundation I don’t think about what I did but what I can do. And in maintaining a foundation I always have to think where can I get that next dollar from to continue this path that Amanda has put me on. With the help of my wife we raise money by ourselves we don’t get government grants or subsidies we rely on the community to support us. And without the support of this great city Amanda would be just another statistic.
So in closing please help us keep Amanda’s name and foundation going strong. We are always looking for new ideas and help in fundraising. And most important of all please make sure you have A CO detector in your home I don’t want anybody to have the life of my wife and I have now.
I would like to thank you all for hearing my story and I know Amanda thanks you for not forgetting her.

AmandaHansenFoundation.org
Contact Ken or Kim Hansen (716) 380-1468

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends whose children have died from some tragic event. Give strength and healing to these parents and help find a purpose that will end their suffering and bring new life and hope.